Thread: 'Shred'ing my hard drive

Beans

'Shred'ing my hard drive

I'm about to sell my old computer and I wanted to wipe the drive clean so that none of my private data could be retrieved by the buyer. To do this I use the 'shred' command on my hard drive after booting up into a LiveCD. Is this correct? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Beans

Re: 'Shred'ing my hard drive

Try using wipe.

Check this out

http://wipe.sourceforge.net

Beans

Perform a low level format using the utility that your hard disk manufacturer provides.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You can use that software or use the following command:

Code:
    shred -vfz -n ? (drive)
    Were the "?" is, put the number of times you wan to shred the drive, then for were "(drive)" is, put the drive that you want to shred. Once your done, do whatever you want with it. I think that this method is more effective since you can control what is done to your drive and have immediate results.

There is also Dban.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine