Thread: [SOLVED] Error deleting Not installed (residual config) package

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Error deleting Not installed (residual config) package

Clearing my 'Not installed (residual config)' list in Synaptic, I get this error message:

E: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Anyway to get rid of it? hate useless stuff on my drive.
    thx!
    VIA PX mobo, VIA C7 1Ghz CPU, 4Gb ATA SSD, laptop LCD via VGA, Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Error deleting Not installed (residual config) package

I had a similar problem and the solution was to create an empty directory as follows:

/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic

Synaptic then worked fine.

Beans

Try executing the commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo deborphan | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove --purge
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

creating the directory worked. thanks!
    VIA PX mobo, VIA C7 1Ghz CPU, 4Gb ATA SSD, laptop LCD via VGA, Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hallo

I have read the How To's and threads concerning the removal of unwanted Linux Kernels and the modification of Grub. I adopted to use the synaptic approach using the graphical package manager in System -> Administration and apparently all went well. I had in mind the Post from leetrefz concerning the error message about the non removal of /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic. Creating an empty directory is as far as I can ascertain not the real solution.

What Synaptics cannot do, is to remove the /lib/modules/2.6.22-xx-generic because it is not empty. Whereby xx refers to the version that was to be removed. This directory contains many sub-directories containing links. If I try to remove these, I cannot because I have no permission to do so (from Gnome file manager). The only other thing that I can think of is to remove these directory trees from a terminal having administrator rights, a tedious task owing to the sheer number. The other thing would be to start a file manager with administration rights.

The only thing which bothers me, if synaptics is not allowed to, or cannot remove these directories, is it prudent to remove them at all?

I have also tryed the commands recommended by iaculallad in his post:

Sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo deborphan | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove --purge

In Hardy deborphan must be installed via synaptics and I noticed that there is a graphical version of deborphan, running this and inspecting the results do not seem to indicate that the /lib/modules will be removed.

Is it possible to uninstall the modules seperatley and if so how? Under what names can they be found in synaptic? Any Ideas

Thanks in advance
    Kind regards Euphorion