Thread: Autologin with XDM, minimal XFCE install

Beans

Autologin with XDM, minimal XFCE install

so I started with the minimal cd install of Hardy, added the following,
    sudo aptitude install xdm xorg xfce4 firefox synaptic, network-manager

and now I'm on cloud 9 without my arch nemesis cupsys et al. clogging up my limited 4200 rpm lappy hd on boot. I want/need autologin for unattended startup bliss, but don't know how to do it without installing gdm and doing it graphically. Checked the forums for advice and read through man xdm (I think xdm responsible for my "debian" login manager) to no avail. I remember xubuntu has a graphical way to do it, but installing xubuntu-desktop is against my intentions for this experiment. Thanks for taking the time to read and all advice is welcome.
    P.S. I'm well aware of any and all security red flags this might cause and I believe the benefits outweigh the consequences.
    Last edited by ScaredNoob; June 4th, 2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans

Re: Autologin with XDM, minimal XFCE install

Auto login is really not a good idea, I know its annoying to keep on typing in a password but its better then being a insecure mess.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

not really recomended but a quick google turned up this link which might head you in the right direction.
    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroup...3-07/0373.html

Beans

ya thanks dudes but I ended up just going with gdm because I am going to stay on the xfce/gnome side of the fence anyways. But, if anyone can answer this question it might be of use to someone searching later. Thanks especially for the google find, it gave me a new way to look at the situation.
    Last edited by ScaredNoob; June 4th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.