Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quad Core on linuz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Quad Core on linuz

ive got to think that your friend is referring to the 4 GB barrier that exists between 64 bit and 32 bit operating systems. It may also be that he knows that quad corse are 64 bit and he thinks he needs 64 bit vista to run them. any new processor nowadays (dual or quad) is a 64 bit processor and they run on both 32 and 64 bit OSes,
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

My processor is a dual core, and I run 64bit arch. Most of thetime, the CPUs are scaled down to 50% (800MHz)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 50words View Post
    I am running Hardy on a quad-core Gateway and it blazes. I have no objective way to tell whether it is using the processor cores "properly," however.
    Type this in a terminal

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    It will tell you at what speed each core is operating at.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
    Type this in a terminal

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    It will tell you at what speed each core is operating at.
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but if my cpu is operating at 1000MHz and it should be at 2.3GHz...how do I fix it? or should I not worry about it? (Desktop system)
    I suspect the slowdown is due to power management settings, but I don't know how to fix them?
    Code:
    power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

On topic: the OP's friend is not alone in their assumption, I've been in some VERY heated arguements over the ability of an OS to handle multiple core processors.

Beans

Re: Quad Core on linux

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon1400 View Post
    A friend of mine said vista was the only OS that knew how to handle a quad core properly. I am almost certain this is wrong. Can anyone back me up?
    I have never seen any comparisons made between Vista multi-core handling and Linux's. It is my understanding (quite limited, at that) that Linux scheduling across multiple processors used to not scale very well to quad-core and beyond. However, this was about a year ago during the 2.6.20-22 kernels (and it's not as though they failed completely, just that there was room for improvement).

However, the kernel developers have been quite diligently addressing the problem (the Completely Fair Scheduler was initially introduced into 2.6.23) and the developers seem very pleased with the progress made in the 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 kernels in processor efficiency in all configurations (not just quad- and octo-cores).

So it is possible your friend is actually quite knowledgeable on the topic, but that his information is outdated. It would be interesting to know further details about his assessment (assuming it is something more than Microsoft ad copy).
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Novega View Post
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but if my cpu is operating at 1000MHz and it should be at 2.3GHz...how do I fix it? or should I not worry about it? (Desktop system)
    I suspect the slowdown is due to power management settings, but I don't know how to fix them?
    Code:
    power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

On topic: the OP's friend is not alone in their assumption, I've been in some VERY heated arguements over the ability of an OS to handle multiple core processors.
    Are you running an AMD processor with cool'n quiet enabled? I had that problem. Disabling cool 'n quiet fixed it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I found this article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=1 . Although they are testing the ATI drivers the fact they are using a quad core shows linux performing well against vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

linux is used on machines with thousands of cores(supercomputers) i'm pretty sure it can handle 4 easily enough.

also, what about OSX that has very good multicore support as well(seeing as its roots are in unix this should be obvious too)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon1400 View Post
    What exactly is hyperthreading, anyways?

I have heard the term, but never a clear definition.
    This might be of help.
    IBM ThinkPad X20 | IBM ThinkPad X32 (Arch Linux due to hardware flex issues.)
    Biostar GF7050V-M7, P D 950 3.4, 4GB DDR2, 160GB SATA (8.10), 160GB PATA (2/3 ext3, 1/3 WinXPPro)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mini_g View Post
    Haha.. I was right!*Linux does treat HT*differently (and better!) and more efficiently. Windows just gets fooled

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast