Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TrueCrypt replacement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: TrueCrypt replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Careful with luks/dm_crypt. For me and some others, when you upgrade kernels, the new kernel will not boot. This isn't the case for all users, however I'm stuck with the current hardy kernel.
    Does this mean it's a whole-disk encryption scheme? My methods so far revolve around only opening what I'm using at any given time by mounting encrypted TC volumes. Most of my stuff I don't care to encrypt - just certain things, like files of my creations, financial info, etc. I don't care if someone gets ahold of my Neverball scores

Also, a big need is to be able to encrypt a USB thumbdrive to bring back and forth between Linux and Windows. That's a pain, but I don't have a good alternative. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by AstalaVista View Post
    I manually compile Truecrypt 4.3a for Hardy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=647339
    It a pain trying to figure out the patch and what not, but once successfully done, it runs better and faster than in Gusty

The only problem thus far is having to recompile everytime the kernel is updated, but other than that, it works the same as before.
    I've looked through other options, but none does what I need yet. I may have to take you up on your compile trick. Thanks very much for the link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tubbygweilo View Post
    I seem to be suffering this bug when using lvm & full disk encryption.
    VIA Padlock is a hardware encryption device, support for which was recently added into the kernel. At bootup the kernel may load the padlock module in anticipation that you have the hardware. If you don't, it returns "No such device" and carries on booting.

The message is harmless, and doesn't affect anything else. If your disk encryption is not working, it was not caused through this message.

If the message bothers you, you can blacklist the module.

Beans

The message is harmless, and doesn't affect anything else. If your disk encryption is not working, it was not caused through this message.
    That is reassuring to know.

If the message bothers you, you can blacklist the module.
    This I will think about.

Many thanks for your advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12