Thread: [SOLVED] Desktop menus gone missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Desktop menus gone missing

Hi-- I upgraded to 8.04 a week or so ago on a Toshiba laptop. The upgrade went smoothly and all seemed well. I booted this morning to discover that all the menus and desktop bars (top and bottom) have disappeared. I have reinstalled compiz (following another post) with no luck.

Any ideas on this? It seems there's a lot of posts with similar issues but not really any answers.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Desktop menus gone missing

Quote Originally Posted by belfasttim View Post
    Hi-- I upgraded to 8.04 a week or so ago on a Toshiba laptop. The upgrade went smoothly and all seemed well. I booted this morning to discover that all the menus and desktop bars (top and bottom) have disappeared. I have reinstalled compiz (following another post) with no luck.

Any ideas on this? It seems there's a lot of posts with similar issues but not really any answers.

thanks
    I THINK you can use "gnome-panel --replace" in terminal to get the panel up again...

Kevin
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kshane View Post
    I THINK you can use "gnome-panel --replace" in terminal to get the panel up again...

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin. I tried this command and got a "command not found" error.

Is it possible that gnome-panel got blown away or something?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Kevin. I tried this command and got a "command not found" error.

Is it possible that gnome-panel got blown away or something?
    I suppose so. Try "apt-get install gnome-panel"

Kevin
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kevin, you helped me put my finger on it. Turns out I tried to get rid of evolution in favor of Thunderbird (it's my dad's machine and he doesn't use it for anything but email and web) and it tossed out gnome-panel as well.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, Evolution is tied to so much stuff in Gnome that if you remove Evolution, Gnome will crash. I wish that that would change, but untill then I am just going to hide it.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans
    Distro

Kevin, you helped me put my finger on it. Turns out I tried to get rid of evolution in favor of Thunderbird (it's my dad's machine and he doesn't use it for anything but email and web) and it tossed out gnome-panel as well.

Thanks for the help!
    No prob! Glad you got it figured out. I can relate! I have never (beyond when I initially installed Ubuntu) tried to use evolution as Thunderbird works very well and covers all my email needs. Also, since I like and use firefox, it just makes sense to me to use it...

Good luck!

Kevin