Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [pulseaudio] How to restart pulse-audio?

Beans

[pulseaudio] How to restart pulse-audio?

When I open my pavucontrol interface, it says cannot connect
    and my VMWare complained about /dev/dsp busy as well...

How do I restart my pulse-audio??

Thx!
    Ubuntu 10.04 on HP Pavilion dv6000 and m9340f
    Ubuntu 9.10 on HP dv-3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [pulseaudio] How to restart pulse-audio?

for the record ...
    you can kill pulseaudio by running, as user, not root:
    Code:
    pulseaudio -k
    or
    Code:
    killall pulseaudio
    Code:
    pulseaudio --check
    will check if any instances are still running.

Finally, simply start pulseaudio from the run dialog (Alt + F2 by default)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks a lot still works in 2011! "pulseaudio -k" not being root user.

Beans

I ran pulseaudio --kill, as user not root. Then ran ps -A and verified pulseaudio was no longer running. Then I ran pulseaudio --start, as user not root. I can see that it is running now. Still no sound. Linux sound systems have never worked and it stops randomly for no reason at all. The only real solution is to restart the entire system, not much different than Microsoft Windows.

Beans

While that may be the case for some select few, I think a majority agreed that pulse is the way to go. For instance, pulse can handle many multiple applications through many multiple output variations, I can have different sound playing from 10 different applications on 10 different output devices. What else has that ability, point it out and I might use it.

Thanks for the commands, helped a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by l300lvl View Post
    What else has that ability, point it out and I might use it.
    Windows and OSX. Just saying...

Beans

I have the same problem, since recently (I started using Guayadeque in place of Amarok) pulseaudio crashes rather often.
    For now I'm using
    pulseaudio >& /dev/null &

There is a way so that it is automatically restarted once it gets killed?

On a related note (and sorry, I know we are in an Ubuntu forum): somebody knows where - under Fedora fc11 - pulseaudio is launched at startup?

thanks!

alessandro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmxbass View Post
    Windows and OSX. Just saying...
    Well okay. I was speaking in regards to alternative sound servers on linux. But you have a point, the question would be what you use to achieve this in Windows, not that I will, but I've never seen that ability.

As for OSX, I would gather you mean when the system runs, or once it's booted. Unless you're someone who uses their system 'lightly' because Macs are so delicate.

Beans

pulseaudio stops working for me too at random times.

Sometimes I get warnings and something asking if I want to remove my sound card from the system (most often on login but not every time )! Obviously I don't, I want to use it for sounds!

I have same problems on 3 different machines with different versions of Kubuntu and different hardware.

Today it's done it again on my laptop ( Kubuntu 11.10 ) hence being here looking for a solution ( rather than a single person saying it works for them ).

One of the things I love about Linux is how if something stops working or fails you can just restart that bit, but pulseaudio
    once it fails I have to fully log out and back in, sometimes that doesn't work and only solution is a reboot.

Today my sound stopped again, I tried pulseaudio -k it stopped and restarted pulseaudio ( judge by it's PID ) but still no sound. Worse, when I looked at sound devices it only shows one instead of two. The one being the HDMI one that's no use since I have nothing connected to the HDMI socket. The main Internal sound device that drives the internal speaker and the headphones is gone!! It was there before I restarted pulseaudio - it just wasn't outputting any sound to speaker or headphones despite the volumes being at max and nothing was muted.
    Looks like I'll have to close all my programs and try logging out and back in again!! -- NOT FUN!

Beans
    Hidden!

pulseaudio and phonon (the KDE sound system) always seem to have issues playing nice together, though I believe they are fixed in KDE 4.7.x. I would try removing pulseaudio and just using alsa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast