Thread: Console resolution

Beans

Question Console resolution

How i may set up my console and boot resolution to my native 1680x1050? On macbook pro with ati x1600.
    I try to use startupmanager, but it don't let me use my own resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Console resolution

Quote Originally Posted by mariguango View Post
    How i may set up my console and boot resolution to my native 1680x1050? On macbook pro with ati x1600.
    I try to use startupmanager, but it don't let me use my own resolution.
    I don't think you can use 16:9 resolutions at the console (and maybe the bootsplash too) since these rely on framebuffer/VESA modes. There is a section (#6) here on setting the console resolutions.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto

Be careful as for some reason, many modes don't work for me on my iMac (w/ X1600 as well). if you get an unusable display, you can edit the kernel line in grub by hitting 'e' to remove the vga statement.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I don't think you can use 16:9 resolutions at the console (and maybe the bootsplash too) since these rely on framebuffer/VESA modes.
    Yes, i hear about it, but i hope that should be solution )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mariguango View Post
    Yes, i hear about it, but i hope that should be solution )
    None that I know of. I think it will be dependant on VESA supporting other modes, which is not really a priority issue since "looking good" is not a functional requirement.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Console resolution

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    None that I know of. I think it will be dependant on VESA supporting other modes, which is not really a priority issue since "looking good" is not a functional requirement.
    yes, but on lcd panels little fonts looks more clear with native resolution, i understand that it not primarly needed function, but i want perfect stuff on my computer

and i hear that not only vesa may be used here, but also patched vesa, radeonfb and may be more ways. I ask here for someone who may know this, cause it easy then finding solution by myself.

Thank you once again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I know that startupmanager in the depository should do the trick, but think it only has a fixed set of resolution to choose from.(In your case, 1600x1200 is the closest)