Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] New motherboard problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: New motherboard problems.

I can get an extra 1 GB Crucial piece of RAM in a few days for like $25. I'll try that if nothing else works.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: New motherboard problems.

Okay, so I bought the RAM and my display works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] New motherboard problems.

I just bought this same board (trying to save money as well) as an upgrade over a board that wouldn't allow me to upgrade past 7.04, and so now when start up I get the Ubuntu loading progress bar graphics, and then
    Code:
    Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
    When I hit "Yes" I get
    Code:
    (EE) No devices detected
    Fatal server error: No screens found
    I tried running 8.04 off the LiveCD to see if maybe Feisty just didn't recognize the board or card, but the LiveCD desktop screen is covered in "noise" and double-images. Please see attached photo.

I will try reseating the RAM, but would love other options in the meantime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No luck with new RAM chips. We tried numerous combinations of three or four different chips: Two identical 512s, two different ones, just one, two identical 1Gigs... nothing. One combination did make a difference - bootup wouldn't take place at all. Other than that, they all brought me to the same error screen as before.

Any ideas?
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    No luck with new RAM chips. We tried numerous combinations of three or four different chips: Two identical 512s, two different ones, just one, two identical 1Gigs... nothing. One combination did make a difference - bootup wouldn't take place at all. Other than that, they all brought me to the same error screen as before.

Any ideas?
    Long shot, but, try:

* Reset the CMOS
    * Unplug ALL cables from PC.
    * Push in the "power button" for 30 seconds (with nothing connected!)
    * Connect mains, keyb/mouse and monitor and try to power it on.

Most likley won't help against the POST beeps, but it won't harm either. We usually do this on OEM machines when getting POST issues and it actually fixes it 9 out of 10 times. It just drains capacitors and stuff and "reset" the mobo so to say.
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12