Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OpenSUSE 11.0 RC 1 announced

A bug free Hardy is soon out....

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/05/29/...suse-110-rc-1/

- Yast2 seems to be great. No "hidden" installs. Really mainstream focused
    and what a main stream user wants.

- The upper panel is also removed in Gnome, AWN...?

- I am also goint to check their standard media package solutions, Totem is rather "out of order" for the moment and VLC and MPlayer just works including plugins for Firefox 3. At least in Europe and our solutions,
    often with proprietary streams. (its a commercial world)

Looks nice anyway....
    Last edited by plun; June 2nd, 2008 at 01:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 RC 1 announced

Don't you think this would be better to place in the Community Cafe-thread for example?

Beans
    Distro

Since OpenSuse 11.0 is still in developement and more comparable therefore to Intrepid this is probably the right place to discuss it .
    @Plun I had not noticed the top panel thing , I've got KDE4 for the WM on my OpenSuse install
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by olskar View Post
    Don't you think this would be better to place in the Community Cafe-thread for example?
    No....

In the cafe they discuss complete different issues...

They also directly turns it to a KDE vs Gnome battle.

or worse Ubuntu vs OpenSuse battle....

I think OpenSuse is more "main stream focused" and Ubuntu more
    "introvert" so its details which must be discussed.

MarkS also proposed a synch for major dists and to be the first dist is maybe hazardeous beacuse of all bugs....

Heavy devs also works for Redhat or Novell.

So lets check OpenSuse and find out how they solved things and
    diffs to Hardy/intrepid.

Hopefully "Happy newbies" in the end .... much more important then an old happy conservative Ubuntu users since Dapper....

Beans
    Distro

It would indeed be great if "open source" distros would learn from each other , sadly I have found this rarely to be the case . Yes we compete with each other but for the good of "open source " in general a little less "Not Invented Here" syndrome would be nice.Constantly reinventing the wheel wastes time and resources .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    It would indeed be great if "open source" distros would learn from each other , sadly I have found this rarely to be the case . Yes we compete with each other but for the good of "open source " in general a little less "Not Invented Here" syndrome would be nice.Constantly reinventing the wheel wastes time and resources .
    Any specifics (from Ubuntu and OpenSUSE perhaps)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Well.. I have some specific issues to check.

- The "famous" opening/mounting an ISO file...

- I take Elisa as an example....

How can a newbie find the ugly package.... ?

Add/Remove compared with Yast. Also compare it with PackageKit.

- Change workgroupname ? gnome-system-tools and Ubuntus famous solution.

- Media package solution including dirty codecs and addons/plugins for Firefox.

- Compiz ingegration

- Network-manager including wireless and UMTS/GPRS connections.

Just a start....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    I will give you 2 right off the top of my head that I personaly know to be true not anecdotes .
    1 Gdesklets , broken for 64bit since atleast Fiesty in FC8 (alpha) I found this app to work solidly in 64bit I and many many others had been filing bugs on this to no avail so I tried extracting the FC8 RPM and replacing the ubuntus gdesklets with fedoras , it worked , I emailed the rpm to the dev for him to examine , result ,still broken in ubuntu .
    2 the wireless card I have in one box for testing purposes (rtl8185) does not work in stock Ubuntu (gutsy,hardy,intrepid) OpenSuse 11.0 LIVECD found it configured it and I was connected using it as soon as the desktop loaded , no config no ndiswrapper no BS just connected. and as a 3rd particular look at the hoops ubuntu forces us to jump through to have a working Nvidia driver .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc
    1 Gdesklets , broken for 64bit since atleast Fiesty in FC8 (alpha) I found this app to work solidly in 64bit I and many many others had been filing bugs on this to no avail so I tried extracting the FC8 RPM and replacing the ubuntus gdesklets with fedoras , it worked , I emailed the rpm to the dev for him to examine , result ,still broken in ubuntu .
    Packaging is one area that's crying for more inter-distro collaboration. There's a project with participants from many distros dedicated to investigating ways of using dVCS to collaborate on package maintenance: http://vcs-pkg.org/

2 the wireless card I have in one box for testing purposes (rtl8185) does not work in stock Ubuntu (gutsy,hardy,intrepid) OpenSuse 11.0 LIVECD found it configured it and I was connected using it as soon as the desktop loaded , no config no ndiswrapper no BS just connected.
    In what way do you think this is this connected to NIH syndrome / reinventing the wheel?

and as a 3rd particular look at the hoops ubuntu forces us to jump through to have a working Nvidia driver .
    What hoops? It's pretty simple with Jockey, which happens to be a rewrite focusing mainly on being agnostic regarding distros and desktop environments, and can be used by other distros in the near future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post
    - I take Elisa as an example....

How can a newbie find the ugly package.... ?
    By installing elisa with add/remove, and having the ugly package automatically installed? Apt now treats Recommends: as dependencies by default, so this should just work.

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post

- Change workgroupname ? gnome-system-tools and Ubuntus famous solution.

- Media package solution including dirty codecs and addons/plugins for Firefox.

- Compiz ingegration

- Network-manager including wireless and UMTS/GPRS connections.

Just a start....
    There isn't any content in this list - with the exception of some network-manager features which intrepid will almost certainly have by virtue of including the (presumably available) new 0.7 release.

Take:
    This doesn't say anything! A useful statement would be something like "I find PackageKit's inability to install multiple packages at once annoying, but it has a clean interface. Add/Remove doesn't show enough information, and has slow search. Yast frobs the knobs 25% faster than both".
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast