Thread: hard disk full

Beans

hard disk full

I just installed Hardy today, having been through Easy Eft, I had to update my way through Fiesty, Gutsy, and Hardy. Now when I boot, I get the low disk space message, and wondered where the best place to get rid of useless fat is. I have next to nothing installed on my system and 32Gb of hard disk space. Any suggestions? I had thought about the older kernel installations, and their associated files, but I don't know where they are located.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: hard disk full

well if youhave been using since FF you probably have a lot of packages downloaded. Try cleaning them out with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n7tzg View Post
    I just installed Hardy today, having been through Easy Eft, I had to update my way through Fiesty, Gutsy, and Hardy. Now when I boot, I get the low disk space message, and wondered where the best place to get rid of useless fat is. I have next to nothing installed on my system and 32Gb of hard disk space. Any suggestions? I had thought about the older kernel installations, and their associated files, but I don't know where they are located.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
    To gain more disk space, try to:

-Remove packages in your cache directory
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    -Try to remove old/unused linux-kernels using your Synaptics
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

I already ran apt-get clean, and it didn't seem to free any space. I then went to /boot and removed all of the old vmlinuz, etc files. I will try synaptics next, but I am not quite certain what I need to do there.

Rob

Beans

Just uncheck the old/unused kernel in the Synaptics.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I have applied them, and I at least have 3Gb (10%) free space now. Thanks again