Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why love/hate series was moved to wasteland?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

why love/hate series was moved to wasteland?

I found that "Why I love/have X language" was moved to "recurring discussion" wasteland.

I think it is a mistake, because sane people ignore that space. But the whole point of those discussion was to have comments in context, to be learned from by others.

So say I learned some interesting perspective about Perl, and posted my comments where it belongs (to Why I love/hate Perl), and it is completely wasted there, even if interesting and insightful perspective on importance of Perl for development of free languages and free software community.

Especially slavik would be glad to see that insight, if he missed if before.

Would it be possible to move those discussion back? Maybe for a trial, and if they generate too much excitement and flames, we can always move them back. But other discussions in "recurring" are complete wasteland, while our "love/hate" series were somewhat better argued, at least IMHO

Maybe we can have our own "recurring discussion" subforum, separate from that wasteland?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: why love/hate series was moved to wasteland?

I understand your point and do support it, but then I have been checking recurring discussions ...

the idea for our own subforum does sound nice, though.

With all above said, I do fear that it would be easy for mods to strike this down (as might add more management into the mix).
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

+1

Our recurring discussions actually have PT-relevant information in them, and just drown in the noise elsewhere...
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    I found that "Why I love/have X language" was moved to "recurring discussion" wasteland.

I think it is a mistake, because sane people ignore that space. But the whole point of those discussion was to have comments in context, to be learned from by others.

So say I learned some interesting perspective about Perl, and posted my comments where it belongs (to Why I love/hate Perl), and it is completely wasted there, even if interesting and insightful perspective on importance of Perl for development of free languages and free software community.

Maybe we can have our own "recurring discussion" subforum, separate from that wasteland?
    Well, that was done a long time ago. I can move them back, however I have moved almost all PT recurring discussions to the Recuring Discussions forum. The links are in the stickies, so they aren't lost.

As for sane people ignoring that space, I read them, and so does slavik...

I will move them back if you want, but only them.

Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    I understand your point and do support it, but then I have been checking recurring discussions ...

the idea for our own subforum does sound nice, though.

With all above said, I do fear that it would be easy for mods to strike this down (as might add more management into the mix).
    We are not sane it seems It is a relatively minor point I think (considering it took a month or two to notice) and moving them back wouldn't be a hassle (except for the moving part, vBulletin can be a pain, I wish there it had an interactive terminal so it would be easier to move things.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    +1

Our recurring discussions actually have PT-relevant information in them, and just drown in the noise elsewhere...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=686191

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...89&postcount=2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What was the point of those love/hate threads originally?

If it was to join all these discussion in one place it didn't work. I think every 10.th - 20.th thread spawned on this board contains somebody (you know who you are) aggressively agitating that Python is the most ultimate of ultimates, and everyone who does not code in Python is a blub programmer.

(ubuntu-forums definition of blub programmer: Someone who does not use Python exclusively).

If not for 1 exception, I would cast a vote that all these language vs language discussions be banned forever, simply because they're so unproductive, anything good ever comes out of them? Well, there is that one exception: Based on "Why Microsoft rocks my boat", I actually ended up, starting on both Python and Lisp with the help of several people from UF. But thats "1 in a million" threads..

And if I don't remember wrong, lnostdal was actually banned because of one such thread, which makes the whole concept failed. "Please tell us why you hate C++ and afterwards we will ban you for being to aggressive about it" ...did I miss something?

To sum up: These reoccurring language vs language discussions are 99% of the time a complete bore where noobs end up watching the gandalf of each branch go at it.

/Lau
    Last edited by Lau_of_DK; June 1st, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
    "“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lau_of_DK View Post
    What was the point of those love/hate threads originally?
    pmasiar made the Python one to reduce any flak in nonrelated threads (a very good idea of his)

If it was to join all these discussion in one place it didn't work. I think every 10.th - 20.th thread spawned on this board contains somebody (you know who you are) aggressively agitating that Python is the most ultimate of ultimates, and everyone who does not code in Python is a blub programmer.

(ubuntu-forums definition of blub programmer: Someone who does not use Python exclusively).
    No one does that here. If it helps, substitute Python with "dynamically typed open source language with a developed standard library and many other modules ready to use to accomplish common tasks". This is often called [Python|Perl|Ruby] (sometimes a Lisp is thrown in). A Blub programmer as defined in the BTA, is used on this forum. Naturally, a Blub programmer is one (in short) that doesn't see the need for higher level features and is content with their current language of choice. That is a bad attitude. Look at the bignums or something else thread, I didn't try to force my favourite languages (C and Python) onto the program, I found languages that could express it better (in this case, Haskell).

If not for 1 exception, I would cast a vote that all these language vs language discussions be banned forever, simply because they're so unproductive, anything good ever comes out of them? Well, there is that one exception: Based on "Why Microsoft rocks my boat", I actually ended up, starting on both Python and Lisp with the help of several people from UF. But thats "1 in a million" threads..
    They don't violate the Code of Conduct, and are Recurring Discussions. If we banned all unproductive threads, we'd have only stickies and FAQ's and a few discussions, which does include this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=704619

And if I donut remember wrong, lnostdal was actually banned because of one such thread, which makes the whole concept failed. "Please tell us why you hate C++ and afterwards will ban you for being to aggressive about it" ...did I miss something?
    Yes, you missed a lot

To sum up: These reoccurring language vs language discussions are 99% of the time a complete bore where noobs end up watching the gandalf of each branch go at it.
    Actually, they end up watching other newb recommend the only language they know that they learned by chance (school, random book, whatever) while everyone else says "read the sticky"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

those threads were for arguing about why we like the languages we like.

in other words: if someone wants to find out what language to start with, it would be better to read those threads (with intelligent discussions/arguments) to see what makes people like the language or hate the language. Some people might be like "Hey, I want to be able to do '$_++ for(@array);'" while others might say "I want a strongly typed OO language." Or soemthing of the sort.

What I think would be the next step is to create Pro/Con lists using the info in those threads (relating to the specific language being discussed).
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

We also need a "why love/hate (stupid) people" thread so we can unban Lars and give him a place to vent so he can come back and give us more of his fancy Lisp snippets...

Lau, LOL @ "...gandalf of each branch.."
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    We also need a "why love/hate (stupid) people" thread so we can unban Lars and give him a place to vent so he can come back and give us more of his fancy Lisp snippets...
    Yea I dont know for what reasons he was banned, maybe they WERE in fact legitimate. But the sum of Lisp skills in the forum went below the critical level when he got the boot. Couldn't we hold a tribal council and vote him back in on the island?

/Lau
    "“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast