Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i access my camera's mount point?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy how do i access my camera's mount point?

so I am very new to Ubuntu, I love it but I am very new to it. I have had dual boot XP/Ubuntu and have been using it more and more.

Today I ran into a problem where I can't figure out how to access the directory of my camera's mount point. I plug in the camera it starts up...F-spot finds it and offers to import, does so successfully. BUT I can't figure out where to find the mount point to cd into it. gThumb has no problem with finding it via the file>import photos...

can anyone please help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: how do i access my camera's mount point?

it should be /media/something. If you look around you should see something that looks like you camera. I think my computer always does it to /media/CANON or something. Since my camera is a canon SD1000 it made sense that /media/CANON is my SD card.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hmm I looked in /media and /mnt, there was nothing there. Now there are dirs named camera but I created those in my "feeling in the dark" method of somehow getting it mounted to where I know it would be.

Not sure if this is because I dual boot and Ubuntu has access to the Windows partition but my /media has all the Windows directories in it. In addition, somehow the /media/camera directory has everything in it from /media...odd.

So yea..if anyone can help I'd be very grateful. This quest started for me with this message. "from the shell cd to your SD card's mount point"

Beans
    Hidden!

Use the mount command to list mounted partitions:
    Code:
    mount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Used mount and get the following:

/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
    varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-17-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on /media type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/alex/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=alex)
    /dev/sda1 on /media/camera type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /root/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Alrite, so since I can't find it where it's getting mounted automatically can I specify where it should mount to so then I can access it?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think is mounted in /home/alex/.gvfs:
    Code:
    cd ~/.gvfs
    ls

Beans

This does not work. It is not behaving as in 6.04. Ubuntu make it fancy with the auto f-spot pop-up, and now the old true and tried automount does not work.

Where can I find the /dev? I can see that it is usb 2-4 address 5. Now what device would that be?

[81281.303606] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [81281.437197] usb 2-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Beans

The developers screwed it up. They tried to make it fancier by auto launching f-spot. To do this the device is not mounted as a file system. Thus you can't use it conveniently like a filesystem anymore.

This is an example of developer getting it wrong.

Anyways, to solve the problem, I bought a USB media reader and put my card in there rather than plug the camera in directly. The card now gets mounted.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ubunteduser View Post
    The developers screwed it up. They tried to make it fancier by auto launching f-spot. To do this the device is not mounted as a file system. Thus you can't use it conveniently like a filesystem anymore.

This is an example of developer getting it wrong.

Anyways, to solve the problem, I bought a USB media reader and put my card in there rather than plug the camera in directly. The card now gets mounted.
    You could just go into preferences and change how it's handled when plugged in.. i'm in xubuntu and i forget what it is in gnome, but basically in removable media you give it a command like 'nautilus' and it should open no prob.. maybe!
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast