Thread: NIC trunking or bonding

Beans

NIC trunking or bonding

I'm fairly new to this level of systems management....

I've just got a file server with 4 gigabit NIC's (two on motherboard, two on a separate card) raid 6 on 16 drives, etc. we have a large cpu render farm that hammers the server constantly with large loads both read/write. I would like to bond/trunk the 4 gigE ports on the server so i can get 4 gigabit transfer to/from the file server.

I have a 48 port gigE switch that i can (easily, it seems) link aggregate 4 ports together, so that leaves me with properly setting up the file server to bond it's 4 ports together.

i honestly don't really know where to start. i'm running ubuntu 8.04 server edition. i've read a few other posts on the forums but haven't found anything that truly matches my situation.

any help very much appreciated!

.z

Beans

Re: NIC trunking or bonding

You'll want the ifenslave package.

The kernel module that is needed for this is bonding.o. I think you'll want bonding mode 4 (802.3ad, aggregation). So:

modprobe bonding mode=4 max_bonds=1

ifconfig bond0 {... blah blah ... } up
    ifenslave bond0 eth0
    ifenslave bond0 eth1
    ifenslave bond0 eth2
    ifenslave bond0 eth3

And voila. I hope. I've only ever used bonding for high-availability failover, not aggregation.

Further docs are here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...ng/bonding.txt