Thread: Mix secure and insecure logins?

Beans

Mix secure and insecure logins?

I would like to set up my system so that my little kids and visitors can have simple/no passwords to keep each other out, while administrator access (my wife and I) requires decent passwords. The non-administrator accounts should be invisible to ssh/any other form of remote access.

It's easy to edit /etc/pam.d/common-password to remove password requirements generally for all users -- how do I set up different requirements for administrator/non-administrator?

It's easy to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow only administrators -- how do I generically disable non-administrator remote login by any service (smb/ftp/etc.etc.etc.) whether already running or added in the future?

Beans

Re: Mix secure and insecure logins?

Quote Originally Posted by aaulick View Post
    It's easy to edit /etc/pam.d/common-password to remove password requirements generally for all users -- how do I set up different requirements for administrator/non-administrator?
    If there are user accounts you wish not to have a password, simply make sure that the second field of their /etc/shadow entry is empty. They will be able to log in without providing a password. I don't think this is a good idea, but it's your system. Make sure they're not a member of the admin group or have any other sort of sudo access.

Quote Originally Posted by aaulick View Post
    It's easy to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow only administrators -- how do I generically disable non-administrator remote login by any service (smb/ftp/etc.etc.etc.) whether already running or added in the future?
    Well, there's pam_deny, which allows you to specify a list of denied users. The trick is that you're going to have to use it to block access to everything but the console login service (probably GDM). This will require some careful PAM hackery in /etc/pam.d.

Note that all of the services you list above also have per-service user deny functionality (a separate SMB passwd file, /etc/ftpusers, etc, etc). So you also have the option of configuring each remote login service individually as you turn it up. This may be easier in the long run than having to maintain a highly customized PAM configuration.
    Hal Pomeranz, Deer Run Associates
    [[ Various Linux/Unix related documents ]]
    [[ Command-Line Kung Fu blog ]]

Beans

Thanks, HalPomeranz. I wish it were simpler than that. I can't have good passwords on the 5-year-old's account because she can't remember them and it takes her 10 minutes to type them in anyhow, and I can't leave it blank because then the three-year-old logs in and trashes all her stuff....

Beans

Oh, I see what you mean. If you run the passwd command with root privileges you can set any password you want-- the normal strong passwords rules don't apply if you run the passwd command with root privs. So just "sudo passwd <accountname>" to set a simpler password for "<accountname>".
    Hal Pomeranz, Deer Run Associates
    [[ Various Linux/Unix related documents ]]
    [[ Command-Line Kung Fu blog ]]