Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't change background wallpapers after updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't change background wallpapers after updates

Hi
    I did some upgrades today on my Hardy desktop, but after finishing the upgrade its not possible to change my desktop background wallpapers , when trying to select another one or clicking on it nothing happens at all , i tryied to delete the "gnome" and "gnome2" files in my home folder and logout then login but that didn't help ,at later time i noticed that i have to click many times "7 or 10" times on a wallpaper to be changed.
    i did the same upgrade on my laptop to make sure and get the same issue also, I'm not sure which upgrade did the damage.
    I hope some one can help me to fix it.
    Sorry for my english.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't change background wallpapers after updates

any one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As an experiment, see if you can set the wallpaper from the command line:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename <path-to-image>
    Also check the contents of ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml and
    ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/background/%gconf.xml.
    Last edited by unutbu; June 1st, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename <path-to-image>
    Thanks for your reply
    I tried what you mentioned but i consider my self not good enough in using the terminal so there was no success trying to set the wallpaper from the command line, i tried to copy paste the path of the wallpaper and put the picture_filename but all get was errors about syntax or something like that, i tried to put the wallpaper ext like png or jpg but without success also ,also i didn't know what to check in the files you mentioned.
    anyway i reinstalled Ubuntu on my computer again yesterday, after installing i applied all the available updates and rebooted the system , but what i found is the same problem.
    I filled a bug report against this problem, here is the link if any one can help or is having the same issue
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/236521
    Thanks and best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Najmudin, I'm sorry I don't know how to fix your problem -- at least not the GUI part, but if you would like to try the CLI again:

Open a terminal.
    Select and paste
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
    into the terminal -- no need to change anything.
    Then open a Nautilus window and navigate to the image you want to use as wallpaper. Click-and-drag the image and drop it on your terminal. The path should show up automatically. Make sure there is a space between "picture_filename" and the path. Press return and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, cut and paste everything in your terminal here (the command and the error message.)
    Last edited by unutbu; June 3rd, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

yeah!! me too
    ADVERTISE HERE

Beans
    Distro

Hi unutbu

Thanks again for your help,i don't mind using the terminal but some times i don't understand what to do with the codes like the one you mentioned, but after you explained what to do i can use it, and here is the error:
    najmudin@najmudin-desktop:~$ gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/najmudin/Pictures/Other Wallpapers/3DLinux.png
    No value to set for key: `Wallpapers/3DLinux.png'
    I hope i paste it correctly

Beans

Code:
    I have the same problem as the poster.
    I can change the wallpaper as you suggest from the terminal, so the problem is at the gnome-appearance program, right?
    ALso i need to thos .xml files for what?]

will there be an update fixing this?
    ADVERTISE HERE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Najmudin, I'm sorry I don't know how to fix your problem -- at least not the GUI part, but if you would like to try the CLI again:

Open a terminal.
    Select and paste
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
    into the terminal -- no need to change anything.
    Then open a Nautilus window and navigate to the image you want to use as wallpaper. Click-and-drag the image and drop it on your terminal. The path should show up automatically. Make sure there is a space between "picture_filename" and the path. Press return and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, cut and paste everything in your terminal here (the command and the error message.)
    Same problem here. I can change the background if I use terminal as you instructed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Najmudin, the reason the terminal command did not work for you is because the image you want is in a directory whose name contains a space. To get around this problem, try putting a backslash before the space:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/najmudin/Pictures/Other\ Wallpapers/3DLinux.png
    or use quotation marks:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "/home/najmudin/Pictures/Other Wallpapers/3DLinux.png"
    cotiK, CEB2nd: It appears this is a bug in Hardy. Najmudin has opened a bug report (see post #4), and I think that's the best we can do. It wouldn't hurt to post a note there to confirm that the problem is widespread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast