Thread: Upgrading an old P3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upgrading an old P3

Hi everyone
    I am trying to upgrade my system to boost the performance but I am not sure how to go about.
    My system specifications are :
    My Processor: 500MHz Intel Pentium III
    32 Kbytes primary memory cache
    256 Kbytes secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board: Gigabyte i810 1.3A
    Bus Clock:100 MHz
    BIOS:American Megatrends Inc 2.0C 11/17/99
    Memory Modules: Slot '0' has 256 MB
    Slot'1' has 256 MB
    Bus Adapters: Intel82801 USB Universal Host Controller

Display: Intel(R)82810 Graphics Controller{Display Adapter}
    Packard Bell PBN PNP A520 (Monitor)
    HD 10GB.
    I would like to replace the motherboard,Hard disc,I would like a cheap dedicated graphics card and would like to increase the memory to 1GB.
    The things I would like to know are, do I have to replace the power supply as well, can I use the existing case,do I need to change the fan,can I use the existing cables.
    I am aware of Mobo,CPU and RAM have to compatible,what else has to be compatible.
    I am sure many of you have done it before and I would very much appreciate your help and advice.
    I will do more reading about these things and when I am ready I will commit myself. By the way I am operating Gutsy in this machine,I would like to give this machine to a museum one day until then I have to look after it.
    Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Upgrading an old P3

would it not be easier to build a new pc? if yopu are building the tower only, this can be done for less than £200 easily...
    Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you Shifty_Powers, I like this machine very much,in terms of cars its like A40 or Somerset. That is why I would like to modify it for performance and want to keep atleast some part of it. I understand your point of view and not rejecting it outright.
    I will do some research and decide which way to go as this is my spare machine I am not in a rush. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't know where you live but if in the U.K.it might be better to use the tower case.Then start again with a new rig.For about a £100 you can now get yourself an amazingly good setup.The reason I ask if you live in England is because there is a very good supplier in Hertfordshire I used to use before I moved to the South of France.The e'mail address is www.rlsupplies.co.uk.Give them a click,see what they offer at fantastic prices.You could still use your old hardware,just build something you really want.A quick click gives you a choice.Ask back here for details you'd like.Best of luck,Peter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Peter
    I am in Birmingham and I will go to the link you have given me and see whats available,Thanks for the link and let you how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Guys
    This is just an update to my previous post,I am glad to inform you that I have rebuilt my new PC and operating Hardy very nicely.
    I bought these from CCLonline(with very good service and the price is very reasonable): AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.4GHz,Biostar MCP6P-M2,Hitachi 160GB SATA2,450w winpower PSU, Cooler master elite340 case. 2x1GB RAM from crucial.
    I wouldn't have done it without the help of this forum members and I would like to thank you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images