Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Restricted drivers PROBLEM!!!!

Beans

Re: Nvidia Restricted drivers PROBLEM!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    Heres how I set up every one of my nvidia cards, don't skip steps even if you have already done them in the past.
    Ok, did all that - twice. and running off a clean install as well.
    used both the latest and the 100.14.19 drivers which someone said somewhere works fine. (and tried almost everything else i have read in this forums)

I get to this point no problems.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, you should also be able to enable desktop effects.
    No Logo. eventually i get a configuration window, i only have choice of 640*480 or 800*600. when desktop loads i get this error when i attempt to run Nvidia X server settings.

¨you do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver....¨

Honestly, am ready to give up. So many people have this issue, and seems the only solutions to be really offered is by those who did not have the issue in the first place

It cant be a total Nvidia issue, my laptop is running fine on the latest drivers and on 8.04, wasnt even a clean install.

Beans

Ok, never mind. My Issue resolved. No Nvidia issue, No Ubuntu Issue.

I have a Dell SC430, which requires a modified PCIE card installed in the 4x PCIE slot, and I installed it in the 8x, which is not meant to support a Display adaptor.

I moved to the new slot and installed 8.04 clean, and its all set up, nice and shiney.

3 Cheers for Starcannon, I used your instructions.

Beans

I have been having problems with restricted graphics drivers with both pci express cards I have.

On my older machine (Athlon 2600, Radeon 9800 pro AGP) restricted drivers work fine and I can enable desktop effects. Ditto with my Dell laptop (Xubuntu 8.04, Centrino Proc, Radeon x300). However, when I built my new system with a dual core AMD 3800, and a PCI express video card (first a Radeon 800 GTX and then an Nvidia 8600 GT) I am having total black screen madness after enabling the restricted drivers.

I have tried every way in the book to install drivers, all from clean installs. I've tried ticking the restricted drivers check box, using Envy, building the driver from Nvidia, none of it works. And after reboot, I don't even get to alt+f1 into a console window, the entire thing becomes non responsive. This is an embarrassment to both Ubuntu and ATI/NVIDIA. There has to be something wrong with Ubuntu. I even tried installs of Hardy AND Gutsy, neither one worked. It works on older graphics hardware, but not newer ones.

This needs to be fixed asap, it's shameful. No one is going to take Linux seriously if they can't even get accelerated graphics running (let alone printing, but that's another story).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

PacketRatket,

I have this same monitor and am having the same problem with the 6800 XT AGP.

My monitor settings, for what it is worth now are:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "SyncMaster"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection
    A torn jacket is soon mended; but hard words bruise the heart of a child.
    ~ H. W. Longfellow (1807-1882)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Heres how I set up every one of my nvidia cards, don't skip steps even if you have already done them in the past.
    Code:
    Print out this guide, you will be in pure CLI for part of the install.

1)  Download the driver for your Nvidia Card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    	1.a) Make sure its in your home directory, this will make it so we don't have to change directories later when were in terminal.

2) Open a terminal: Applications--> Accessories--> Terminal

3) sudo apt-get install build-essential

4) gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    	4.a) Add "nvidia" without quotes to the list.
    	4.b) Save and Exit

5) gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    	5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
    	5.b) Save and Exit

6) sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup

7) sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    	7.a) Were just deleting your old xorg.conf file, we backed it up in step 6 just in case we ever need it back again.
    	7.b) Getting rid of old drivers, use one or more of the sections that apply to you:
    		-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    		If you used Envy to attempt a previous nvidia install please run this command now before you go on:

sudo envy --uninstall-all 
    		sudo dpkg -P envy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    		If you have some old Ubuntu repository/restricted driver manager attempts installed please run this command before you go on:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
                    sudo rm /lib/restricted-modules/.nvidia*

If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

####################################################################################
    ##................................................................................##
    ## Alright Now Assuming That You are starting with a clean slate lets move forward##
    ##................................................................................##
    ####################################################################################

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.a) Okay were in Command Line only now, we have a little left to do in here.
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

9) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    	9.a) This step shuts down the x-server and gnome desktop manager

10) sudo chmod a+x ./NVIDIA*.run
    	10.a) We made the nvidia installer executable.

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
    	11.a) Answer to the affirmative for all questions.
    	11.b) Be sure to specifically say you DO WANT it to write a new xorg.conf
    	11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:
    		c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of an xorg.conf file for you.

12) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    	12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, you should also be able to enable desktop effects.

Follow these instructions (TRULY FOLLOW THEM WITHOUT SKIPPING STEPS) and you will be up and running.

Thanks starcannon!
    A torn jacket is soon mended; but hard words bruise the heart of a child.
    ~ H. W. Longfellow (1807-1882)

Beans

I had the same problem with the screen going black (out of range)
    right after installing the nvidia restricted drivers and rebooting.

My video card is a GeForce 6200, attached via DVI to a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW.

This turned out to be an EDID problem.

The general idea is to allow the LCD panel to be driven with a custom modeline.

This does not work unless one overrides DDC, EDID, pixel clock detection,
    otherwise your custom modeline gets removed and xorg tries to drive
    the panel with the incorrect values (out of range).

I have attached my xorg.conf in case it is useful to someone else.

For the SyncMaster 204B, replace with this modeline:
    ModeLine "1600x1200@55" 150.0 1600 1804 1996 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync

Just install Ubuntu as normal, apply all updates, enable the NVidia restricted driver and
    overwrite xorg.conf before rebooting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I had that same problem, but because I was using a laptop the laptop's monitor worked. It was only when I connected my external display I found the problem.
    I used nvidia-settings
    It's a great program and its in Synaptic. To set up your external display open a terminal window, type sudo nvidia-settings (after you've installed it), type your password and then the nvidia-settings window will appear. Click on X Server Display Configuration. You should see your monitors, if not click Detect Displays. Click on the display you want to configure, click configure, select an option, click OK, click Save to X Configuration File, click Save and then restart the X server.
    Last edited by :) Smiley :); July 8th, 2008 at 05:40 AM.

Beans

Never mind, it works now. Thanks a lot. I am still surprised at how bad the performance is for the 8xxx series. Maybe they will release better drivers in the future.
    Last edited by Daisama; July 8th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Beans

Code:

1)  Download the driver for your Nvidia Card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    	1.a) Make sure its in your home directory, this will make it so we don't have to change directories later when were in terminal.

4.b) Save and Exit

5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
    	5.b) Save and Exit

7.a) Were just deleting your old xorg.conf file, we backed it up in step 6 just in case we ever need it back again.
    	7.b) Getting rid of old drivers, use one or more of the sections that apply to you:
    		If you used Envy to attempt a previous nvidia install please run this command now before you go on:

sudo dpkg -P envy 

If you have some old Ubuntu repository/restricted driver manager attempts installed please run this command before you go on:

If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

## Alright Now Assuming That You are starting with a clean slate lets move forward##

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
    	11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:
    		c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of
                         an xorg.conf file for you.

12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, 
                  you should also be able to enable desktop effects.

Optional But recommended:
    13) To get the driver to update itself when a new kernel is installed from the update
        manager be sure to follow the guide in this link:
         http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5227704&postcount=1
    Here's a click link for the guide mention in step 13
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...04&postcount=1

I will continue to update this guide as I find new things, but I am not really following this thread any longer as the OP seems to have moved on.

If I refer you to this guide from another thread, then please continue posting in the thread we met on. GL and hope this guide helps you.

~Starcannon
    This helped me. Thank you!

Beans

Code:

4.b) Save and Exit

5.b) Save and Exit

sudo dpkg -P envy 

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
    		c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of
                         an xorg.conf file for you.

12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, 
                  you should also be able to enable desktop effects.

Optional But recommended:
    13) To get the driver to update itself when a new kernel is installed from the update
        manager be sure to follow the guide in this link:
         http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5227704&postcount=1
    Here's a click link for the guide mention in step 13
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...04&postcount=1

I will continue to update this guide as I find new things, but I am not really following this thread any longer as the OP seems to have moved on.

If I refer you to this guide from another thread, then please continue posting in the thread we met on. GL and hope this guide helps you.

~Starcannon

I searched THIS solution for 2 days thanks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast