Thread: newbie question on permission denied

Beans

newbie question on permission denied

hi,

if i get a permission denied error i have to use sudo in terminal which is fine with me. but suppose i am using the normal graphical interface e.g. Places -> Computer and then i try to move a file or edit a file. it gives an error saying permission denied. how do i remove that permission denied error? i dont want to use terminal all the time.

thank you very much.

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Re: newbie question on permission denied

Quote Originally Posted by user2000 View Post
    hi,

if i get a permission denied error i have to use sudo in terminal which is fine with me. but suppose i am using the normal graphical interface e.g. Places -> Computer and then i try to move a file or edit a file. it gives an error saying permission denied. how do i remove that permission denied error? i dont want to use terminal all the time.

thank you very much.
    If you are going to move a file anywhere but your home folder, it is going to give you permission denied since that's how Linux is made. It only allows the user to modify the home files.

you can use the terminal and sudo to copy/move files to any place other than the home. - Highly Recommended.

you can also open the file browser in root mode and copy/move files - Not recommended at all.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

To have all permissions in the graphical file management tool use this command:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Be careful when messing with system files. There is a good reason why a non-super user does not have full permissions.
    Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
    ~ George Bernard Shaw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

what do you want to copy/move where`?

Beans

as sayd in the previous post, click ALT+F2 and type "gksudo nautilus", youll have full permissions you can even make a quick launch icon in the panel to that command, and each time you press it, youll get a full permissions file manager

BUT permissions are there for a reason, you shouldnt be messing with system files on a regular basis, you should save your normal files under the home folder, which you can read write with no problems

sam

Beans

Code:
    sudo nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As a newcomer to Ubuntu and Linux myself I fully understand the frustration when you are trying to move files about, but when I first got here I read all the dire warnings about not running the file manager as root, and got down working out how the OS works (To some extent at least).

The people here know what they are about and its worth listening to them.

Your OS is secure because it has these restrictive permissions, so if you do go for "sudo nautilus" be very, VERY careful what you do, and don't use it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Beans

thankyou everyone for your replies. actually am running apache and the directories are /var/www and /usr/lib/cgi-bin which i am interested in. think i will have to change them to the home folder for further use. also i tried to install ubuntu on a 4gb usb stick but after installation i got a grub error 2. i wish it worked out of the box like the live cd. damn. any ideas on what can be done?

thank you again