Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Linux Distro Updated Most Often ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Which Linux Distro Updated Most Often ?

Here is one question, to think about it.. Don't be fixated on one linux distro because you simply love it. Please be honest here.

Recently I've noticed that Ubuntu repositories are not up to date. Since I am kind of new to ubuntu, I thought I would ask if Fedora updated more often, or any other linux distro.

For example in Ubuntu 8.04 x64 repos there is only VLC v0.8.6e deb but in Fedora or rpm's in general there is VLC 0.8.6f (the latest) release of VLC. I wonder, how often does ubuntu update there repositories ?

Nothing against Ubuntu, don't get me wrong Just want to know.

Beans

Re: Which Linux Distro Updated Most Often ?

Quote Originally Posted by EMCGFX View Post
    Here is one question, to think about it.. Don't be fixated on one linux distro because you simply love it. Please be honest here.

Recently I've noticed that Ubuntu repositories are not up to date. Since I am kind of new to ubuntu, I thought I would ask if Fedora updated more often, or any other linux distro.

For example in Ubuntu 8.04 x64 repos there is only VLC v0.8.6e deb but in Fedora or rpm's in general there is VLC 0.8.6f (the latest) release of VLC. I wonder, how often does ubuntu update there repositories ?

Nothing against Ubuntu, don't get me wrong Just want to know.
    well it depends what you mean by updated.If you mean updated like version then I would say Ubuntu or Fedora.For packages though that is a tough one I guess I would say dream linux or debian testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With Arch, you can install things in the [Unstable] repositories. You could check that out, if you wanted. There is also the AUR (Arch User Repository), maintained by the community. Lot's of good applications in there, built by users.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Out of date?! I always thought Ubuntu was rather cutting edge. That's probably because I'm used to Debian Etch though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Repositories won't get updated for a minor update such as the one you mentioned

You may want to try a rolling release distro (I believe Arch & Gentoo are rolling-releases) but they both require a lot of work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Twitch6000, First of all I mean the repository, and second one the distro it self

@Dr Small, Yeah, I've seen Arch Linux. I kind of like it since, you compile all the stuff from the source. I guess that would be the latest versions I will defently try it.

Also, I forgot to mantion it that I prefer GNOM or XFCE desktop. I don't use KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LOL, VLC 0.8.6h came out, and f is steel not in repositories. O_O
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...x/1034861925/2

Beans

i would say that the distro that gets the most updates is....any beta or release candidate distro
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Beans

Debian sid. It doesn't release - packages get updated pretty much as soon as the new versions get to the packagers. Some things that have never yet had stable versions get left out (kde4 for instance) but you can get these from the experimental repos.
    Sidux is sid with a few scripts that allow users to report back things that break so that everyone else doesn't automatically update to these. You get pretty good reliability and you're always up to date. Sidux also allows you to install sid directly rather than install testing first and upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by EMCGFX View Post
    LOL, VLC 0.8.6h came out, and f is steel not in repositories. O_O
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...x/1034861925/2
    VLC 0.8.6f, g, or h will never be in the Gutsy repositories. Once a release goes gold, package versions are locked-in except for security fixes and MAJOR bug fixes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast