Thread: Ad-hoc vista--->ubuntu setup

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ad-hoc vista--->ubuntu setup

Hi to you all,
    I run into some trouble trying to configure a small wireless network for personal use. I have an desktop computer running Vista which is connected to the internet using lan adapter. This computer has a second lan device wich is connected to my laptop. Using this set-up I can connect to the internet from my laptop. I would like to do the same thing but using two wireless usb sticks. What I have done so far:
    - on the desktop side, I have disabled the secondary lan connection, pluged in my Asus wl-167G stick. The card was configured to use static IP:192.168.0.1. I have disabled ICS and then re-enabled it. I also have created an ad-hoc network using the Vista built-in wireless client, with ESSID:mmihasan, Security Type: No authentication(open), Encryption type: WEP, Network security key: simon. I connect the desktop to this network and the status is:Waiting for users to connect.
    - on the notebook side. It is an old compaq armada laptop, running an basic install of Ubuntu 8.04 an top of which Xfce was instaled. The wireless adapter is an D-Link DWL-G122 revison C1. I would say that the adapter is working using the rt73usb adapter. I am tring to connect to the wireless network using the network manager applet from system tray. I right click it and hit connect to other wireless network. In the window wich pops up I enter Network Name: mmihasan,Wireless security: WEP128Bit passphrase, passphrase: simon, Authentication: open system. I hit connect, the icons is animated and the status is: attempting to connect to the wireless network mmihasan. After 1 or two minutes the wireless network key required windows pop up again, asking for the Wireless security, passphrase and Authentication. I reenter then, hit connect and the same thing happens again.
    What did I do wrong?
    Any clues that could help my solve this problem would be really apreciated.

Sorry for my poor english
    Last edited by biohazardousguy; May 30th, 2008 at 06:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ad-hoc vista--->ubuntu setup

Coincidentally, I just got done doing a very similar thing a couple days ago--setting up a Windows XP machine to create an ad-hoc network via ICS for my Ubuntu computer to connect to. I also have a DWL-G122 card. I ran into the same problem as you--the card looked like it was connecting, but ended up timing out after a few minutes--and after a lot of frustration, I realized the problem was that the rt73usb driver does not support ad-hoc mode. Try typing:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
    and you'll get an error.

In principle it's possible to get rt73usb to go into ad-hoc, but it involves downloading a kernel patch or something and looked really complicated to me. An easier solution is to blacklist rt73usb and install the rt73 legacy driver from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/...itle=Downloads . Using rt73, I was able to connect to my ad-hoc network without a problem. Unless you need to use rt73usb for some reason, I'd advise you to try using rt73 and your problem should be solved. I'm using my DWL-G122 card with rt73 to type this and it's been working great on my ad-hoc network for two days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thank you for the quick reply.
    The erorr thay you described I have noticed it. It is required for my laptop adaptor to be in ad-hoc mode?
    It you have some time, could you please post how did you proceed on installing the driver and black-listing the old one?
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by biohazardousguy; May 30th, 2008 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, your card needs to be in ad-hoc mode in order to connect to an ad-hoc network (normally your card would function in "managed" mode). Here's a quick overview of what to do to get the better drivers:

1. install compiler if you didn't already, as well as the Rutilt wireless manager:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential rutilt
    2. download driver source code:

Code:
    wget http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz
    3. extract source code:
    Code:
    tar -xzvf rt73*
    4. cd into directory and build:
    Code:
    cd rt73*
    cd Module
    make
    sudo make install
    5. blacklist rt73usb driver:
    Code:
    sudo -s
    echo "blacklist rt73usb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    6. insert rt73 module and bring up interface:

Code:
    sudo rmmod rt73usb
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe rt73
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    7. now launch Rutilt and you should be able to connect. Note that you *cannot* use the rt73 driver with Network Manager--you may be able to see networks, but it will be buggy and probably won't connect. Rutilt is a wireless utility made especially for the rt73 and other legacy Ralink drivers. Using it you should be able to connect to your Windows network without a problem:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc ###this step is probably not necessary as Rutilt will know to put the card in ad-hoc mode, but it can't hurt
    sudo rutilt
    Let me know how this goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It worked OK, thank you very much.
    Now I can connect to an unsecured open acces network created from my vistadesktop, but the noteboook can not take its IP. I also can not put an ip manualy, so I am again a bit stuck in this. Now I am I want to see maybe there is a newer version of rutilt which support inputing an manual IP.
    thanks again for your time and effort

The version in the hardy repo seems like it is the latest. I will dig a little bit more to see why the ip it is not served. Maybe there is also a problem on the vista side.
    Last edited by biohazardousguy; May 30th, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Checked the rutilT site

Beans
    Distro

Glad you can connect at least. You can set a static IP using the ipconfig command, e.g. (for an IP address of 192.168.0.10):
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.10
    You can use a graphical interface to set a static IP by going to System>Administration>Network.

But I think that your Windows box should be giving you an IP via dhcp by default, so I would check that everything is working right on that end before trying to configure a static IP on Ubuntu. When I first tried to set up my ad-hoc network, it took some work to get things working because Windows was not giving out local IP addresses as it should have.