Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Japanese Input and Font Setup in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) using SCIM 日本語

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: Installing Japanese Input and Font Setup in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) using SCIM

Ok, I'm sorry I've taken so long to respond- I've been getting so f*^King fed up with this OS's little glitches I haven't been able to stand fooling with it for a week.

I tried your fix, and added that line to the scim global file. It screwed things up royally- it did indeed get rid of the unicode, but also english! Hitting my old hotkey that cycled between languages, CTRL+ALT+Up, it would only flash "Anthy" (Japanese) at me. Furious, I removed your entry from the global scim file, and put it back the way it was, but now, it still doesn't work right! It still refuses to switch between anything, and I have to click the keyboard icon in my tray to get it to go to english. Hot keys/switching don't work at all- it keeps flashing "Anthy" at me.

In case you're wondering exactly what is in my scim global file now, here it is:
    Code:
    /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8
    That's it.

EDIT:

Ok, it's working normally again, and in open office as well. I have since made my global scim file BLANK- ie, deleted that above line, hoping that might change things and remove unicode. It didn't. But everything still works fine, weird.

I've decided I don't know how to get rid of the unicode, since unclicking it never has an effect, even after reloading scim. I'm contacting the program's author, in hopes that maybe he can help. Thanks for all your help Ryukent!

PS: Remember how I asked about tablets before? You should check this out- http://www.iogear.com/product/GPEN200N/
    That thing is amazing, and has OCR support for both English, AND Japanese! (as well as a few others), can be used on any flat surface/paper, wireless, works as a mouse, everything. It says windows only though.... I wonder if there's any chance this would work in linux for us? What do you think?
    Last edited by BastardNamban; December 16th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Installing Japanese Input and Font Setup in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) using SCIM

I hope it is not too late to post something. This is my first posting in one of these types of forums.

I followed your instructions to enable Japanese font, but I'm still not able to type in Japanese. I can read it on websites; I always could. I just can't type in Japanese. Whenever I bring up OpenOffice Writer and press Ctrl + Space or Shift + Space and I get nothing. I tried Text Editor and right clicked in it then selected to use SCIM yet nothing happened.

I can see a small keyboard in the upper left corner of the screen right next to the clock. I click on it and nothing happens. I even tried instructions from this site: http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/s...howto.html#pr3

It recommended...

Adding the following four lines to ~/.i18n or /etc/sysconfig/i18n will make SCIM start with X and enable you to activate the input method in various applications simply by pressing Ctrl+Space, whether it uses GTK-immodule, Qt-immodule or the XIM (X input method) protocol-GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d" XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
    And this one for enabling SCIM to use Japanese font: http://zuttobenkyou.wordpress.com/20...ch-and-german/

* Open up /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim with root access with any text editor. E.g., something like this: gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.

* Make the file look like this (the lines that start with # are all “comments” and do not affect anything at all):

XIM=SCIM
    XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim
    XIM_ARGS="-d"
    XIM_PROGRAM_SETS_ITSELF_AS_DAEMON=yes
    GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
    QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
    DEPENDS="scim,scim-anthy|scim-canna|scim-chewing|scim-pinyin|scim-hangle|scim-prime|scim-skk|scim-tables-additional|scim-m17n|scim-uim|scim-tables-ja|scim-tables-ko|scim-tables-zh"
    And I installed all the items recommended at http://stefanomatic.wordpress.com/20...or-ubuntu-804/ just in case I had missed something.

sudo apt-get install scim-anthy im-switch scim-bridge-agent scim-bridge-client-gtk scim-bridge-client-qt scim-bridge-client-qt4 language-support-ja
    Nothing. I've read in your forum you ask people to do im-switch -l

Mine says the following--

Code:
    Your input method setup under en_US locale as below.
    =======================================================
    The configuration "/home/olivia/.xinput.d/en_US" is defined as a link pointing to
    scim-bridge
    This private configuration supersedes the system wide default.
    The system wide default is pointed by "/etc/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL" .
    xinput-all_ALL - status is manual.
     link currently points to scim-bridge
    default - priority 10
    default-xim - priority 0
    none - priority 0
    scim-bridge - priority 10
    Current `best' version is default.
    The available input method configuration files are:
    default default-xim nabi none scim scim~ scim-bridge scim-chewing scim-hangul scim-hangul_xim scim-immodule scim-pinyin th-gtk-im-libthai th-xim 
    I recently bought a Dell XPS M1330 that came preinstalled with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Everything else works fine except this one thing, and I'm not sure what else to do without crashing the system because I still new to Ubuntu Linux. Any help?

Beans

For me after following the guide, my fonts didn't really appear to be smooth and anti-aliased anymore. Making sure all of the following were installed (from a step in ryukents feisty guide) made everything look better for me in hardy.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts ttf-dejavu ipafont ipamonafont ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming
    Note: ipafont was not in the repos for me

Hope that it can help someone else too

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Emerald, seems you have SCIM installed. Can you right click on the keyboard, select SCIM setup and check to see if you have Anthy in the IMEEngines section?

Beans

Yes it is there. When I went in to enable complex characters and select Japanese in the list of languages it was already selected along with a whole list of other languages. I've tried unselecting it, restarting my computer and re-selecting it. It didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,

My partner has a Japanese laptop (hence with a Japanese keyboard). I installed 8.04 via Wubi with Japanese installed as its main language.

It came with SCIM preinstalled, but if we left-click on the icon, it only gives us "Other English/European, Other Raw Code, English/Keyboard". We couldn't get any Japanese character working in any program (say Firefox, OpenOffice or gedit).

I am a n00b and don't know how to use SCIM. I followed the tutorial found at this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ja....04_using_SCIM

I had some choices to make which I might have gotten wrong. For example, if I type "locale" in a terminal and this is what we get

Code:
    LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    I added the following line in "~/.scim/global"
    Code:
    /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8,en_GB.UTF-8,ja_JP-UTF-8
    and then went on until the end. Perhaps I screwed up something, but we can't get any application to type in Japanese. She also has WinXP and in there she could get it working using a special key and she can choose which language to type in (she tells me its name sounds like "hankaku-zenkaku-kanji"). When we do CTRL+SPACE we can't get SCIM to offer us Japanese.

I apologize if this looks like a mess, but she is positively interested in using Ubuntu (being fed up with Win XP) but I do not know how to make Japanese fonts show up in any application.

Thanks for your patience

Cheers
    Dell XPS m1330, GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb, Intel Duo T7500 2.20 Ghz, 4Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3826 and Asus Z96J, ATI x1600 256Mb, Intel Duo T2600 2.16 GHz, 2Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3157

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've personally had a much better experience using UIM for Japanese input rather than SKIM with Kubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ja...in_Ubuntu_7.10

SKIM has caused input issues for me, such as being unable to enter any text into a window unless I clicked odd and back onto it.

Aside from that, the process of installing UIM seems far less painful,and it works in both QT and GTK programs from the off without any issues...

(Only issue I'm having right now is getting UIM to use good Japanese fonts. If I edit the font.conf file, it ends up changing my entire system's font. Problem is, if I leave it as it is, I come across missing Kanji during text input.. I'm looking into it.)

Edit: No longer an issue. Just copied the earlier example of the fonts.conf file and everything now works fine.
    Last edited by TWO; March 14th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
    Ubuntu= Linux Mint =
    Karmic Koala 9.10

Beans

Hi

I had been using Japanese font for 6 months or so, wondering about this ugly font. Thank you so so much!

Beans

Following these instructions worked well to get pretty fonts for Japanese, but they appear to only work in GTK applications. How can I get the same font order defined for Qt applications? (Firefox is pretty, but Opera is not...)

Beans

Hey Emerald, I had the same problem typing Chinese in Skype. Saw lots of solutions, including the ones you've posted, but in the end all you need to do is install these (actually I'm not 100% sure you need all three, it may only be one or two, but I didn't check):

scim-bridge-client-qt
    scim-bridge-client-qt4
    scim-qtimm

Then logout, login, problem solved.

EDIT: ahaha, didn't read your post very closely, did I? You've already got 2 of the 3. Well, try scim-qtimm too.
    Last edited by hobo14; May 10th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast