Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Former Fedora Core users...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ, USA
    Beans
    74
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Former Fedora Core users...

    Prior to using Ubuntu, I was a user of Red Hat Linux (from version 6.2 and up into Fedora Core). I switched away from Red Hat because of its lack of innovation when it came to its releases. There was not too much of a difference between Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core 2.

    So what made you change, former Fedora users?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    portland oregon USA
    Beans
    642

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    Prior to using Ubuntu, I was a user of Red Hat Linux (from version 6.2 and up into Fedora Core). I switched away from Red Hat because of its lack of innovation when it came to its releases. There was not too much of a difference between Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core 2.

    So what made you change, former Fedora users?

    ubuntu is faster, easier to configure, easier/faster to install, no bluecurve desktop, no rpm, no buggy test releases that look like stable releases, community involvement, debian base.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Beans
    147

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    I was getting irritated with Redhat (been using since RH7), and when FC1 came about... i was disappointed with it... it was slow, clunky, and i didn't like it...

    I used FC2, but it crashed all the time (it was stable at first) yum was slow, i was sick of "dependency hell".

    Gave Gentoo a try, but that meant I didn't have a working system for 2 days while it installed a base system.

    Ubuntu (like all debians), is quick, took 15 minutes to install (infact, i actually timed it at 11 minutes 13 seconds last install i did). It just worked... all my hardware works, and had gnome 2.8....

    Fedora is just too clunky for me, and you have to do things Redhat's way... which i don't like (one main reason why i don't like Microsoft, you have to do things THEIR way, not yours)....


    Ubuntu's just better.


    Sorry for writing a book
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Beans
    38
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    ubuntu is faster, easier to configure, easier/faster to install, no bluecurve desktop, no rpm, no buggy test releases that look like stable releases, community involvement, debian base.
    What got me to try Ubuntu was its debian base, 1 CD install, and philosophy.

    Now that I've tried it, I like that it is fast and stripped down compared to FC. It's definitely more pleasing to work on.

    I feel that FC has a good community going for it also, and it did work very well for me. Yum was very easy to work with for pkg mgmt. We'll see if I stick w/Ubuntu or go on to FC3.

    One thing that has me scratching my head about Ubuntu (Warty) is that I have not been able to locate an easy way to configure my wireless settings. They changed recently, but Ubuntu seems to like to hold onto the former key. Everytime I boot it up and I need to use 'iwconfig' to reset the key, and then get a cup of coffee while I wait for the machine to pick up an IP address. Minor, but it's getting old, although I'll keep poking around for a solution. Laptop power mgmt is as flaky with Ubuntu as it was with FC2.

    Eric
    Last edited by ewinslow; December 14th, 2004 at 08:13 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN, USA
    Beans
    150

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    Fedora was fun while it lasted, but I'm thankful I'm done with that. I never really liked Up2Date because it had me update programs that I had no use for. A friend told me to install Apt for rpm, but I couldn't get the hang of that. Eventually I grew tired of looking for FC RPMs so I stopped installing things. Things became stale after that.

    Not to mention everytime I had to reinstall FC, whether it was because I had screwed something up and wanted to start over or something screwed up and wouldn't work, I had to use 3 out of the 4 cds that came with it.

    Now with Ubuntu I see how nice it is to have one cd. How nice apt-get can be. How nice it is to understand the file system (to a degree). How nice it is not to be a guinea pig for Red Hat. How nice it is to have a fast boot-up.

    How nice it is to be with Ubuntu. But the nicest thing about Ubuntu is the community -- something FC never had.
    The greatest waste on Earth is potential unrealized

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Beans
    5,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    You can google this forum for my thoughts on Fedora... it aint worth my time to retype it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nyack NY USA
    Beans
    988
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    apt-get works better on a Debian system and is much more developed than yum. Debian is not commercial. Better hardware detection. Faster system. One advantage of Fedora is there are more rpm repositories with somewhat more up to date software

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Beans
    5,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    Quote Originally Posted by kleeman
    apt-get works better on a Debian system and is much more developed than yum. Debian is not commercial. Better hardware detection. Faster system. One advantage of Fedora is there are more rpm repositories with somewhat more up to date software
    is that an insult? j/k
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nyack NY USA
    Beans
    988
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    Not at all The backports project is much appreciated!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    71

    Re: Former Fedora Core users...

    I was happy to try something new! up2date was slow and never worked properly. Gentoo was great, but took forever to set up. I'm happy with Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •