Thread: How can we make a laptop detect and switch to an external screen when the lid closed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How can we make a laptop detect and switch to an external screen when the lid closed?

Hello,

When I am in Windows XP and I have an external monitor plugged into my laptop (The video card it runs is a GeForce 8600GT.) and the lid is closed, the drivers can detect if a screen is plugged in and use it instead of the laptop screen.

I was wondering if the same functionality could be implemented in Ubuntu...

If it's possible then it would be exellent, I currently use XP more because of this feature and I would rather not.

If you don't think it is possible, could you please explain why?

Thanks

-rob
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows 7 dual boot (damn games!)

Beans

Re: How can we make a laptop detect and switch to an external screen when the lid clo

try using the Fn key with f8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How can we make a laptop detect and switch to an external screen when the lid clo

Nope, nothing.
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

so, yeah... my original question?

Beans

I think you need to install the nvidia tools not to sure of the correct name search the forum

its in synaptic nvidia-settings
    Last edited by bigken; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah, i have that, what im looking for is the ability to automatically switch to an external screen when the laptop lid is closed...

so it goes kinda like:

close lid
    look for external screen
    if external screen present
    set default output to external screen and draw to it
    else
    (just turn off screen)/(do nothing)
    end.

would this sort of thing be possible?

if it is i recon it would be a good thing to include, making ubuntu/linux better and 'more ready' for the laptop.

im sure this kind of a thing would depend on the drivers, so i spose it would be driver specific, but that shouldnt stop the idea being implemented on more than just an nvidia card, for example.

if im not putting things across clearly then please say and ill try and reword its a little...

-rob

Beans

i dont think you can just shut the lid Im sure you have to enable something in the nvidia settings for duel monitors or select the external as your default monitor

anyhow Im off to me feather godd night and good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

maybe, ill edit this post tomorrow with what i find out after some tinkering...

Sorry i didnt edit on time, i was a bit lost with other things.

but i have got it to work but using gksudo nvidia-settings, then detect displays, then enabling the external as a separate x screenn, then disabling the laptop screen, then saving the xorg conf (not after backing up the current file) and then using ctrl+alt+backspace to restart X and that has worked.

its a bit of a long winded approach but i thought perhaps a script could be made to run that just copies the backed up file and vise verca then restarts x when conditions are met?
    Last edited by marshall.robert; June 7th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump