Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about my abilities... ??

Beans

Red face Question about my abilities... ??

Hi, and thanks for stopping by. I'm not sure if i'm at the rigth place but well you will decide. First of all, sorry for my english I'll do my best.

I'm currently a university (first year) programming student. I already have a programming diploma from college. The fact is I learned a lot of things (C, C++, Java, SQL, Python, Assembly) but not in depth. I know a bit of everything but I'm no expert in any of those. That scares me a lot. I'm working full time, going to school after work, that leaves me not much time to practice on my own. I kinda build my experience on my school work wich I think is not enough.

Anyway, after explaining my situation, I wanna know if there's any chance to become a good programmer if I'm not 24/7 coding ??
    How much "time" does it take to become good in one language ??
    Can a programmer be good at web development, GUI design, application developpment at the same time ??

Thanks a lot... I'm kinda scared about my future rigth now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Question about my abilities... ??

Hey Nethan,

Sure youre in the right place, everybody in here complains about not having enough time

Secondly, time comes and time goes. Your major concern seems to be "Can I become good enough, can I improve?" and when you're asking those kinds of questions then I would say you could absolutely become a good programmer - all it takes is a little bit of brains and a lot of motivation. And even if you don't have brains, there's still VB

Its possible to master all the skills you mentioned at the same time, but with your busy schedule, I'd line up your top 3 priorities and then accomplish them 1 by 1.

Pick a project that you think is interesting and includes some of the stuff you want to learn and then start going. When you get stuck post the problem in here and the day after when you get back from work, there'll be hints to help you further along

Good luck,
    Lau
    "“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nethan_lor View Post
    Anyway, after explaining my situation, I wanna know if there's any chance to become a good programmer if I'm not 24/7 coding ??
    Can a programmer be good at web development, GUI design, application developpment at the same time ??

Programming is a life long education.

The time it takes to be a "good programmer" isn't that long I suppose.

See these articles:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...rogrammer.html

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

A programmer can be good at web development and GUI's at the same time. (I am the best at web development myself, and really can't make good GUI's (because I don't try. I don't care about GUI's))

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by nethan_lor View Post
    Hi, and thanks for stopping by. I'm not sure if i'm at the rigth place but well you will decide. First of all, sorry for my english I'll do my best.

I'm currently a university (first year) programming student. I already have a programming diploma from college. The fact is I learned a lot of things (C, C++, Java, SQL, Python, Assembly) but not in depth. I know a bit of everything but I'm no expert in any of those. That scares me a lot. I'm working full time, going to school after work, that leaves me not much time to practice on my own. I kinda build my experience on my school work wich I think is not enough.

When I've started flamenco guitar lessons as a not so little kid, my mom asked my teacher:
    How long it would take him to master flamenco guitar?

He replied in good old Zen style :
    All depends from how dumb he is.

Cheers!
    http://www.stosha.net/ - Collection of linux widgets and libraries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dempl_dempl View Post

He replied in good old Zen style :
    All depends from how dumb he is.

Cheers!

Did you ever learn?
    "“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lau_of_DK View Post

Did you ever learn?
    No
    http://www.stosha.net/ - Collection of linux widgets and libraries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I worked as a programmer for ten years, then taught computer science at a university for twenty years.

The point of a university education is to help you learn the basic concepts. Notice that I said "help you learn," not "teach you." Professors can help you, but they can't force you.

Companies sometimes need to hire someone who has specific skills. You probably will not learn these at a university.

Many companies also hire entry-level people. They assume that the entry-level person knows the basic concepts and can learn the specifics on the job. The issue then becomes how fast the person can learn. This is another thing that a university education is supposed to help you with --- learning how to learn.
    Intel i7-920; Nvidia GT 220, 1GB; MSI X58 Pro-E; 6GB DDR; 64-bit mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It all depends on how you define good.

Personally I see it as a constant learning experience. Some of my University lecturers who taught me C this last year learnt stuff from some of the students

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Don't be scared about the future... too much. Just a little to keep you on your toes If you are good, you can transfer your skills from one area to another.

It takes 10 years to become expert. Also, experts (better than myself) say that there is difference between 10 years of experience, and 1 year repeated 10 times So try to find positions where you learn something new, where people around you are smart. Read more about process of programming and project management: "Pragmatic Programmer" book, Extreme/Agile programming, Test Driven Development (see wikipedia). Learn patterns used in language you use. Read essays by Paul Graham and Joel Spolsky, they have articles how to evaluate skills, and what to learn.

With your time commitments I cannot see how you can participate in outside projects - but check if some project you use at work has free components, and try to become expert on those (skills with free components are easier to transfer).

Also, consider problem area - there are many, and not all solution patterns are transferable. For every area you need to learn terminology, and it takes another couple of years to see rare special cases. As they say, "10 years experience means nothing only to someone lacking it". Programming is a craft. There is no other way to learn (unlike science or art), but just doing it, and observing masters doing it. later, when you have time try joining opensource project - only people smarter than average join and work for free, self-selected community

Bottom line: You are not alone, and you are aware you need to learn, so you will. Good luck!

Beans

Thanks a lot guys for your answers. You kinda all unscared me. I was seriously afraid that when it comes down to work in a real IT company they will expect someone really good for the job and not in any kind of needing to learn anything new. Obviously they will want someone good but like some of you said, when they hire someone, they know that this person will need a learning curve.

What was annoyng me the most is that at universty and before that I didn't learn anything specific and when I look around for jobs they are all looking for someone good in one particular thing or otherwise looking for someone good in Cobol, Pascal, C++, C#, Java, .NET and so one. I was like wow how come someone can know all of this.

Bottom line, I'll try to find time to work on an open source project or a project on my own. I also have to be aware that I wont become the next Linus Torval in a week

Anyway thanks for stopping by. Like I said you all secured me a lot on my future (if that makes any sense in english )

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by nethan_lor; May 30th, 2008 at 03:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast