Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

@JR Tyner:
    Check the AppDB on WineHQ http://appdb.winehq.org/ to find if your windows programs work in wine. Also note that UNetbootin will create a LiveUSB, so you will need to create another partition on your flash drive if you want to save changes. One last comment: using the flash drive for swap will decrease its lifespan.

@stangdaman, sandos:
    A black screen after splash usually means that X.org or your graphical environment failed to start. If you are interested in persistent usb, then see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

@tzepu:
    Multi-boot USB is possible, see this: https://answers.launchpad.net/unetbo...question/24298

@moycano:
    What filesystem is the usb formatted as? You can check with "sudo fdisk -l"; it should be FAT32, and NTFS will not work. Also, there may have been some kind of problem mounting the usb device, since fd0 usually refers to floppies. You could check if the usb is mounted correctly with "lsusb", and also see the error log with "dmesg" command. You could also try reformatting the drive, or checking if it has errors.
    WubiGuide - Wubi tips, tricks, and answers to common questions.
    UNetBootin - Install Linux and create LiveUSB drives without a CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Dear makers of the Unetbootin software, I have used your method to install ubuntu 7.10 on my eee pc, which I am very satisfied with. the eeeubuntu sucks, so thank you for that.

What I find dissapointing, is that the mandriva installer has absolutely NO real function, it can't install the download way, nor the ISO way.

Please fix this little, bug, beacause ther are many people out there that really needs this feature without getting all scripty
    The mass media controls what you think, by limiting what you see. Long live forums, chatrooms and comunities!!!

Beans

I noticed that the docs say that you can use UNetbootin to create a dual-boot system, but I can't find the option to do that. I've got a 2GB USB key that I'm trying to put BackTrack and Ophcrack on. Parted Magic too if I have the room. What option(s) do I need to select so that it makes it a dual-boot system instead of just overwriting the files that are the same?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah, I want built-in support for this.

I think that there should be a dual boot checkbox that makes two buttons appear when the user have set their options for the first OS - "Next OS" and "Done".

If the user click on "Next OS" then it should keep the settings in memory until the user click on "Done".
    If the user click on "Done" before setting up a second OS, then it will work like a single boot system.
    If the user click on "Done" after setting up more than one OS, then all will be installed, but instead of just installing them all one by one, the OS:es and the (one and only (no need for one per OS)) boot loader (GRUB?) will be configured so that all OS:es will be listed in a single boot loader at boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Natanael_L View Post
    I think that there should be a dual boot checkbox that makes two buttons appear when the user have set their options for the first OS - "Next OS" and "Done".
    ... boot loader (GRUB?) will be configured so that all OS:es will be listed in a single boot loader at boot.
    Agreed - that would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to specify how much space to allocate to a swap partition - a FAT32 partition to be able to swap files with ******* PCs would be nice. (I'm assuming here that Unetbootin creates an extX partition as if it created a FAT partition then ******* isnt able to recognise a 2nd FAT partition on a USB stick from what I understand).

Apparently it is possible for UNetbootin to support multiple OSes, but you have to manually do that. Have a look.

Beans

hi
    i also have a problem with this.
    after installing and reboot
    i boot from the usb and there's no problem.
    but after i select start *ubuntu without change ...
    it loads and stops after loading the vmlinuz, and initrd.gz

it looks some sort of this

vmlinuz.....................................ready
    initrd.gz...................................ready

and after that it doesn't go on so where's the problem?
    Last edited by pumpin; November 2nd, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Beans

hi,
    after installing, rebooting and changing the boot priority order in the BIOS i just get a black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper-left corner

(i have dual boot: Ubuntu 8.04.1 (messed up (i love to tweak)) and windows xp)

i just want to edit the Ubuntu and windows partitions to give more space to Ubuntu and less space to windows and then format Ubuntu to do a fresh install of intrepid ibex
    Last edited by karlmp; November 4th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    "I took the red pill, but I installed the blue Linux"

Archlinux user, using it right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This is how I made a Unetbootin install to flash drive persistent.
    Booted Live CD, (Live USB should also work)
    Plugged in target flash drive.
    Started Partition Editor
    Created 1 GB FAT32 partition, (on the left side of the bar).
    Created a 1.5 GB ext3 partition to the right of this, labeled it "casper-rw".
    Created a ext3 partition in the remaining space and labeled it "home-rw".
    Closed Partition Editor.
    Un-mounted and re-mounted flash drive.
    Started Unetbootin, selected Diskimage, located the iso, selected Type = USB Drive, selected correct drive letter
    Pressed OK, waited 5 minutes.
    When Unetbootin finished, shutdown, removed CD, rebooted.
    At boot menu hit Tab, then typed "(space)persistent", (this must be done at every boot that you want persistence.
    Changed desktop background, connected to wireless and installed FontForge.
    Rebooted, changes were persistent.

This only works with 8.10 as 8.04 has a flaw in casper.

I'm wondering what to modify so that I don't need to hit Tab, then type "(space)persistent" at boot?

Oops missed the thing about editing syslinux.cfg in post 4.
    Tried this and now I don't have to type persistent at each boot.

I sort of like home and casper on separate partitions so I can update the kernel with out loosing all my stuff.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; November 4th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

Question Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Hi,

I've just tried to install the 8.10 x64 on my usb device and when I boot up it says

"Could not find kernel image: linux"

I have done an MD5 check on the iso and it is not corrupted.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans

I have a few questions, as I have never done something this complicated before:

1. If I make my USB into a LiveUSB, can I then use that same USB to run the Ubuntu 8.10? (I'm new to Linux so I don't know exactly what a LiveUSB is... as in, is it just an installation function, or a full-blown OS)
    2. I heard that 8.10 already has a USB creator with some sort of a persistency function. Will this work if I make a LiveUSB with this method?

I guess what I really want to know is if I can use the LiveUSB like I would a LiveCD to do this: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11...usb-installer/

By that I mean using the LiveUSB to put Ubuntu 8.10 on the SAME USB.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me
    Last edited by Timber_Wolf; November 16th, 2008 at 09:38 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast