Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

sorry i don't know where else to turn with this. trying to set-up again with limited resources and a windows system found an infected file. maybe it's most relevant to all yous here..

when i just went to get unetbootin for windows there were two download sites, sourceforge and launchpad. now understand i trust launchpad over sourceforge, no particular reason, just sticking by a community i guess, so i would have gone right ahead, but avg quarantined it. the launchpad file is unetbootin-windows-502.exe (4.5mb) and the sourceforge file is unetbootin-windows-494.exe (4.3mb). the sourceforge 494 file is not suspected but it's older and i guess i just want to know which ones other users and the developers stand by.

are the sourceforge and launchpad files maintained by the same team? where should viruses be reported? sorry if the exclamation icon was inappropriate but i believe it is a virus alert.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Quote Originally Posted by seaoffecundity View Post
    sorry i don't know where else to turn with this. trying to set-up again with limited resources and a windows system found an infected file. maybe it's most relevant to all yous here..

when i just went to get unetbootin for windows there were two download sites, sourceforge and launchpad. now understand i trust launchpad over sourceforge, no particular reason, just sticking by a community i guess, so i would have gone right ahead, but avg quarantined it. the launchpad file is unetbootin-windows-502.exe (4.5mb) and the sourceforge file is unetbootin-windows-494.exe (4.3mb). the sourceforge 494 file is not suspected but it's older and i guess i just want to know which ones other users and the developers stand by.

are the sourceforge and launchpad files maintained by the same team? where should viruses be reported? sorry if the exclamation icon was inappropriate but i believe it is a virus alert.
    I would think files from sourceforge are the most recent. After all the UNetbootin homepage is hosted on http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

In any case, AVG could be reporting a false positive. Make sure AVG is up to date. If it is still reporting your file, add it to the exclude list so AVG will not quarantine it. This is of course if you are certain it is a file you trust.

Beans

I get this error when I try to run UNetbootin

Archive: /media/PSSSTSTORAG/unetbootin-windows-527.exe
    [/media/PSSSTSTORAG/unetbootin-windows-527.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/PSSSTSTORAG/unetbootin-windows-527.exe or
    /media/PSSSTSTORAG/unetbootin-windows-527.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/PSSSTSTORAG/unetbootin-windows-527.exe.ZIP, period.

Beans

Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread but I just didn't have time to read all the pages. But I have the problem that unetbootin doesn't find my USB hard drive which I have formatted to fat32 and it has the size of 10 Gb.

I have tried both normal and quick format. The actual hard drive is 120 Gb but I have only one partition on is which is the above mentioned one.

Unetbootin only shows one USB drive which is K: and that's the drive for SM-cards!

Beans

hello, i'm running netbootin win on puppy linux wine.

during the extract phase, my root dir gets so overloaded that my OS hangs, and i have to restore my OS from backup.

is there a way to force netbootin to extract to a different hard-disk, instead of my OS disk?

thanks

Beans

hello,I did all those steps as described. but doesn't do anything.
    tried all three boot sequences

• USB-FDD ignores usb,enters windows normally
    • USB-ZIP boot error
    • USB-CD rom ignores usb,enters windows normally

Used Windows XP SP3.

Any ideas anyone?

Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Can anyone help with this unanswered q
    What I would like is to be able to boot from the USB flash drive, but then be able to remove it from the computer once the desktop has loaded.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19450...ing-unetbootin

Beans

Thank you!!! It worked superbly on my netbook (no CD drive), even for a Linux novice like me.
    I actually installed from an SD card, and no problems whatsoever.

Pity that Ubuntu runs so slowly as to be unusable...

Beans

I find Universal USB Installer to work well too.

Beans

I just used Unetbootin to create a bootable Backtrack distro on an 8GB FAT32 USB, which worked just fine. However, when I later tried to add a Puppy Linux ISO to the menu, I was prompted to overwrite two existing files, which I declined. Is there a safe way to add another distro onto an already existing one with Unetbootin?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast