Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mp3 bitrates and amarok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: mp3 bitrates and amarok

next best converter is probably Foobar2000 (wine again). It's quite popular.

I just batch converted a folder and it seems to work fine. And free.

As far linux command line goes, there's also ffmpeg and mplayer, but IMO it's too complicated.

Gui-wise, there's TransKode (nice but it's KDE app), and gnormalize (which I think goes conversion too), but personally I'd rather use dbpoweramp or foobar.

You might consider just sticking with Soundconverter, which in general gets the job done, and for any files it has problems with, run them through Foobar.

good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Back to the bit rate question....why aren't some converting, you asked.

Do you know the original bit rates they were ripped at? If it was less than 128 Kbps, it might not upconvert. It's the equivalent of taking a small image and enlarging it. You lose too much information. You can convert large (high bit rate) down to small (low bit rate), but not vica versa.

That's the first thought that comes to mind.

Second thought is that they may have been recorded in a variable bit rate and perhaps the converter doesn't know what to do with it...or some sections are below 128 Kbps.

Beans

alright i think i'll have enough information to help me out. thank you guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by b3n5p34km4n View Post
    alright i think i'll have enough information to help me out. thank you guys!
    I see what you mean about dbpoweramp and mp3--need the powerpack...like winamp with mp3 capability ($). I've only ever used it for open-source formats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12