Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mp3 bitrates and amarok

Beans

mp3 bitrates and amarok

first of all, yes i know mp3 is a lossy format and all of that.

i would like to convert my mp3s to 128 kbps, and i have used sound converter. it works alright, but it just won't convert some files.

i also don't like how you can't choose to have a bitrate column in the file browser, or in any of the music players i have tried (banshee, amarok, rhythmbox).

i also use musicbrainz picard to tag my music.

can someone tell me the best way to convert the mp3s and tag them and sort them into folders so i can easily add them to a music library in any one of the programs and then transfer them to my ipod?

another thing is some issues with amarok. i have an 80gb ipod classic with perfect album arts for like 850 albums. when i connected the ipod to amarok, the album art on the ipod is completely screwed up. every album art is either on the wrong album, or the album art is blank. any suggestions?

the way i did things with windows was convert using itunes, tag with musicbrainz picard, organize with mediamonkey, add album art from itunes, then put on ipod.

last thing, an amarok pet peeve. why is there no way to remove songs from the library without moving them to the trash? and why can't you just browse through the songs instead of sorting through artist to album first?

thanks so much to anyone who replies.
    Last edited by b3n5p34km4n; May 28th, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: felt like adding more and didn't wanna double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: mp3 bitrates and amarok

Quote Originally Posted by b3n5p34km4n View Post
    i would like to convert my mp3s to 128 kbps, and i have used sound converter. it works alright, but it just won't convert some files.
    try manually from the terminal:

lame track.mp3
    (default is 128 CBR)

or

lame --abr 128 track.mp3

(slightly better quality I think)

i also don't like how you can't choose to have a bitrate column in the file browser, or in any of the music players i have tried (banshee, amarok, rhythmbox).
    right-click on amarok browser column header>select columns>deselect BPM

as for the rest, there's EasyTag (nice but takes a while to learn all the options.)

Personally I use Amarok to edit the tags. does the job

Beans

how would i go about converting an entire folder of music?

thanks a lot for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

change to the directory

cd mp3_folder

lame *.mp3

Beans

can you be more specific please? i'm new to ubuntu/linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

let's say the folder is my_mp3s in your home directory. Type this in a terminal:

user@user:~$ cd my_mp3s

user@user:~/cd my_mp3s$ lame *.mp3
    (the asterisk means it will convert all files ending with '.mp3'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sorry, the '*' will only work with wav to mp3 (duh)...You need a script, IIRC I have a link bookmarked somewhere. i'll post it if I find it

EDIT: you should probably forget using lame on the commandline--it apparently strips the tags (!):

ID3v2 found. Be aware that the ID3 tag is currently lost when transcoding.
    There's also dBpoweramp, which I use a lot to convert. It's the best I've come across, but it's a windows app so you have to run it on wine.
    Last edited by logos34; May 29th, 2008 at 09:31 AM.

Beans

ok so i installed wine and dbpoweramp, and i was about to try to use the batch converter, but it said i need to register dbpoweramp :'(

so is there anything free available? dbpoweramp seems like it does a lot more than what i want it to.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The music converter was free last time I checked (the only thing they charge for is the pro version with secure ripping mode). Maybe it just wants you to register your name and email.

I just batch converted my library of .alac apple lossless music to ogg and flac, folder by folder.

Yeah, it has a lot of options but its one of the best. You might grow to like it.
    Last edited by logos34; May 29th, 2008 at 09:25 PM.

Beans

i went to convert a folder of music to mp3 and it said that i need to register, and for the mp3 license i need to buy a $36 reference pack

i just tried ignoring the thing that tells me to register, and i went and converted anyway and it converted 83 songs in a little over a minute... but then an error box came up and there was an error for every song saying that the mp3 encoding trial had expired and i need to purchase the license.
    Last edited by b3n5p34km4n; May 29th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast