Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using Canon FS100 Digital Camcorder with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Using Canon FS100 Digital Camcorder with Ubuntu

Hasn't anyone else seen the strange filenames? I have the Canon Legria FS36 (movies stored on on-board flash).

. I will probably return it because A) Movies are named in some strange fashion, not just MOV028 MOV029 MOV030 etc. but MOV028 MOV02A MOV02B MOV02C MOV030. Don't really see the logic behind the filenames.

B) The cameras filesystem is mounted read-only and I cannot change that (AFAIK). So I have to erase the downloaded movies from the camera from the camera menu. I have tried 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 -o remount,rw' but that didn't work.

Beans

The file names use base-16 numbering: ...028 029 02A 02B 02C 02D 02E 02F 030...

If you delete any clips from the camera menu, you will have missing numbers.

Don't know about the r/o mounting issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manthony121 View Post
    The file names use base-16 numbering: ...028 029 02A 02B 02C 02D 02E 02F 030...

If you delete any clips from the camera menu, you will have missing numbers.

Don't know about the r/o mounting issue.
    Ah of course they are.. then I could easily do a script to rename them.

What I can do from the camera menu is to complete wipe the memory. Menu > Memory Oper. > Initialize > Built-in Mem > Initialize "Quickly erases all data files in the built-in memory".

Probably the numbering will continue at the last position but I will have to check that.

Edit: Checked right away and nope, the numbering will start from MOV001 again.
    Last edited by ThomasNovin; March 12th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just bought a FS100 second hand, and i'm finding that the video looks very interlaced when played back on the computer.
    Also the 16:9 format is not automatically recognized in mediaplayer.
    I read on another thread that I should leave them like this if I plan to make video DVD's, but is there anything I can do to make playback on the computer nicer looking?
    also, if I decide to use a video editor in linux will it automatically correct these issues if I export to a different format, like .AVI?
    Please bear with me here, I am not a videophile, I don't really know what I am doing here.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quinnten83 View Post
    I just bought a FS100 second hand, and i'm finding that the video looks very interlaced when played back on the computer.
    Also the 16:9 format is not automatically recognized in mediaplayer.
    I read on another thread that I should leave them like this if I plan to make video DVD's, but is there anything I can do to make playback on the computer nicer looking?
    also, if I decide to use a video editor in linux will it automatically correct these issues if I export to a different format, like .AVI?
    Please bear with me here, I am not a videophile, I don't really know what I am doing here.
    Many video players, such as vlc, allow you to chose a de-interlace method on playback, and will also let you select an aspect ratio, if it is not correctly recognized.

If you are going to copy to a different format (transcoding), there are several ways to "deinterlace" the video stream, and different transcoding software will have different choices. As with many things Linux, you can learn an awful lot about how video is encoded and stored on computer by digging into these programs. Most will have reasonable defaults if you just want to get the job done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234