Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Context menus on right mouse click UP instead of DOWN?

Beans

Context menus on right mouse click UP instead of DOWN?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to configure gnome to display context menus after I release the right mouse button instead of as soon as I push the button.

Problem: In firefox, I often find myself clicking and releasing the right mouse button to select an option in the context menu. At the same time, I move the mouse toward the area where I expect the menu to appear. Under my default gnome configuration, releasing the right mouse button automatically selects an option on the context menu as soon as it appears.

I use Windows often and have the habit of expecting the menu to appear after I release the right mouse button. There is no way to configure this behavior in Ubuntu's System>Preferences>Mouse. Does anyone know how to get this behavior?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Context menus on right mouse click UP instead of DOWN?

bump (1 of 3)

Beans

bump 2/3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tarsius4 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to configure gnome to display context menus after I release the right mouse button instead of as soon as I push the button.

Problem: In firefox, I often find myself clicking and releasing the right mouse button to select an option in the context menu. At the same time, I move the mouse toward the area where I expect the menu to appear. Under my default gnome configuration, releasing the right mouse button automatically selects an option on the context menu as soon as it appears.

I use Windows often and have the habit of expecting the menu to appear after I release the right mouse button. There is no way to configure this behavior in Ubuntu's System>Preferences>Mouse. Does anyone know how to get this behavior?

Thanks
    Not sure exactly what your issue is. I have no problems with the right-click context menu and my gnome-settings are the defaults.

In firefox, if I click and release the right mouse button, my menu pops up. It stays until I click an item on the list or click the right mouse button again.

sounds like that is the behavior you are looking for. what are your options under System > Preferences > Mouse, set to?

Beans

Code:
    Current Behavior:

--->right mouse down--->right mouse up
        ^menu appears       ^menu item selected

Desired Behavior:

right mouse down-->right mouse up-->right mouse down-->right mouse up
                       ^menu appears                       ^menu item selected
    The problem is that I tend to quickly click and release, expecting the context menu to appear. Often the menu appears beneath the cursor and a menu option is immediately selected before the menu is even rendered. So in firefox, there is a tendency for "Switch Page Direction" to immediately be selected.

This is a major annoyance as it happens frequently throughout the day. Windows XP exhibits the desired behavior... I would like to configure GNOME to act consistent with my experience in XP.

Beans

I'm having the exact same problem. I would like the right click to be triggered when I release the butten instead of when I press it.

Have you solved the problem? I have been searching without finding any solution.

Beans

I've been looking for a solution for a while, but I have come to believe that GNOME is just not especially customizable to favor simplicity. If there were an abundance of options, it might be too overwhelming. My guess is that the real "solution" is to use a different desktop environment if you want more options. I've also gradually gotten more used to the right-click behavior, so I've decided just to live with it.

Wikipedia has a good article on desktop environments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

Beans

Subscribing for interest; this is the case in KDE as well. Would love to find an easy xorg.conf option or xserver-xorg-input-mouse replacement for this.

Beans

I don't see any way to do it and I've looked for more than a year. Glas to see there are others. I'm going to submit it as a feature enhancment. My thinking is that I'm going to get savaged for suggesting it. I sure could use some support.

The report is at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/320259

Beans

Thanks for posting the bug report, jfrorie. Hopefully we'll soon be able to reconfigure this minor nuisance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast