Thread: Sound randomly dies?

Beans

Sound randomly dies?

This problem started when I upgraded to Heron, for some reason my sound will stop working at some point for seemingly no reason. If I try to turn my speakers off and on I hear a thump sound, but nothing else will come out. Also tried with headphones, same problem but no thump. I can usually fix with a reboot, but it's a major annoyance.
    Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Last attempt before giving up/reinstalling windows

Give us more information about your system: full computer specs (especially sound card), ubuntu installation, and anything else you feel is relevant. This DOES happen to me but not so frequently, I just do ctrl+alt+backspace, restarting X windows which fixes the problem.

Beans

Alright, I have a Pentium 4, 1 gig of ram, Ubuntu 8.04, the integrated sound card which hasn't had any problems before this version of Ubuntu, and the Intel video card...with no compiz =(
    Alt ctrl backspace doesn't work for me, usually my computer stays frozen, or when i log back in it won't boot the desktop, a full reboot is required to fix everything...

And I usually do make specific titles, but they both went ignored so I went for a different tactic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow Re: Last attempt before giving up/reinstalling windows

Quote Originally Posted by lilbugleboy09 View Post
    Alright, I have a Pentium 4, 1 gig of ram, Ubuntu 8.04, the integrated sound card which hasn't had any problems before this version of Ubuntu, and the Intel video card...with no compiz =(
    Alt ctrl backspace doesn't work for me, usually my computer stays frozen, or when i log back in it won't boot the desktop, a full reboot is required to fix everything...

And I usually do make specific titles, but they both went ignored so I went for a different tactic.
    have you tried to re install?or a 15 dollar soundcard? there are LOTS of cheapie soundcards that will work.
    "when you have to shoot--shoot dont talk"
    Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez (known as the Rat)

Beans

But the problem isn't just my sound card...it usually goes out first but everything winds up going down D:

Re: Sound randomly dies?

You could try going to system -> preferences -> sound and for music and movies expand the drop down and change from autodetect to alsa. (some apps will have a similar sound settings option)
    or read thru here if you want to try to continue with pulse
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=776739