Thread: Speed in Jetway M2A692-GDG with Athlon X2 4000+ and two 512mb DDR800 Trnscnd Val RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Speed in Jetway M2A692-GDG with Athlon X2 4000+ and two 512mb DDR800 Trnscnd Val RAM

Hello Everybody.

I want to know what will be the performance of ubuntu in a rig thats configured as follows:

Jetway M2A692-GDG motherboard with AMD 690G chipset
    Using Onboard Radeon 1250 GPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor
    1 GB Dual Channel Transcend DDR2 800MHz Value RAM
    A slightly old 2005 model Samsung 80GB HDD

I am concidering upgrading my current P4 based PC to this one, so that I get both high value for the money I spend on this and good performance with current generation operating systems. I want to know if ubuntu can comfortably run on this configuration, and if this AMD 690G platform has adaquate driver support on Ubuntu Hardy, Fedora 9, OpenSuSE 10.3, Knoppix 5.3, Sabayon and NimbleX USB.

I would install ubuntu hardy on this, and use it mainly for the following:

1. entertainment
    2. multimedia
    3. ubuntu studio apps
    4. use Jack Server a lot, especially for ardour2, jack rack, jack beat and hydrogen.
    5. learning Maya using the free personal learner's edition
    6. play games like Doom3, UT2004 and Urban Terror(I love this game)
    7. emulate windows apps in wine, especially FlashGet
    8. Counter Strike 1.6 in Wine
    9. Pulse Audio Abuse with most of the audio apps
    10. Write/Build programs for the QT4 platform, both with KDevelop and QtDesigner
    11. Program in Python language
    12. Write commandline C++ programs in Anjuta IDE and/or KDevelop
    13. Make myself useful by learning BASH and trying out lots of scripts
    14. Compile lots of software
    15. Build and customise my Kernel
    16. Attempt Gentoo Compile Install if I am brave enough
    17. Run windows XP and other several distros in Virtual Machines using Virtual Box
    18. RIP DVDs like a there is no tomorrow using x264, AoTuV b5 Vorbis and srt in MKV
    19. Download lots and lots of stuff from the internet
    20. Listen to Loud Heavy Metal music
    21. and perhaps try to overclock this rig a bit to boost performance.

So here are some questions:

Would this system give me excellent audio and video quality ?
    I don't intend to play any HD Videos, but still, how will this be for HD Videos ?
    Any issues with Gnome or KDE on this ?
    Would I get suffitient framerates in games I play ?
    Do you think Unreal Tournament 3 will be playable at lowest settings, 1024x768 ?
    Is the Jetway M2N better, with the nVidia 6100 GPU ?(I have a strong feeling it isn't)
    This signature does not exist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Speed in Jetway M2A692-GDG with Athlon X2 4000+ and two 512mb DDR800 Trnscnd Val

When researching hardware compatibility, simply search for the part name/model with the keyword Ubuntu in Google, should give you some results. From there you can tell what, if any, problems other people are having or have had with the same hardware. The specs are more than enough to adequately run Ubuntu Hardy.

-Cheers
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Speed in Jetway M2A692-GDG with Athlon X2 4000+ and two 512mb DDR800 Trnscnd Val

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    When researching hardware compatibility, simply search for the part name/model with the keyword Ubuntu in Google, should give you some results. From there you can tell what, if any, problems other people are having or have had with the same hardware. The specs are more than enough to adequately run Ubuntu Hardy.

-Cheers
    the thing I am worried about is the rumour that ATI Chipsets are horrible when it comes to linux support.

One of the reasons I didn't concider the new 780G chipset was that its biggest hype, the hybrid graphics mode, works only for windows vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

update: most links from google search are old ones, but they talk of GPU incompatibility with Linux. Is the problem solved now ? How good is FireGL today ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bump... I need some advice here... Soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bump...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

would Biostar's 610i motherboard with Intel E2140, overclocked to as much extent as possible on stock cooling, offer me a better performance on ubuntu compared to this setup (also overclocked as much on stock as possible) ?