Speed in Jetway M2A692-GDG with Athlon X2 4000+ and two 512mb DDR800 Trnscnd Val RAM
I want to know what will be the performance of ubuntu in a rig thats configured as follows:
Jetway M2A692-GDG motherboard with AMD 690G chipset
Using Onboard Radeon 1250 GPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor
1 GB Dual Channel Transcend DDR2 800MHz Value RAM
A slightly old 2005 model Samsung 80GB HDD
I am concidering upgrading my current P4 based PC to this one, so that I get both high value for the money I spend on this and good performance with current generation operating systems. I want to know if ubuntu can comfortably run on this configuration, and if this AMD 690G platform has adaquate driver support on Ubuntu Hardy, Fedora 9, OpenSuSE 10.3, Knoppix 5.3, Sabayon and NimbleX USB.
I would install ubuntu hardy on this, and use it mainly for the following:
- ubuntu studio apps
- use Jack Server a lot, especially for ardour2, jack rack, jack beat and hydrogen.
- learning Maya using the free personal learner's edition
- play games like Doom3, UT2004 and Urban Terror(I love this game)
- emulate windows apps in wine, especially FlashGet
- Counter Strike 1.6 in Wine
- Pulse Audio Abuse with most of the audio apps
- Write/Build programs for the QT4 platform, both with KDevelop and QtDesigner
- Program in Python language
- Write commandline C++ programs in Anjuta IDE and/or KDevelop
- Make myself useful by learning BASH and trying out lots of scripts
- Compile lots of software
- Build and customise my Kernel
- Attempt Gentoo Compile Install if I am brave enough
- Run windows XP and other several distros in Virtual Machines using Virtual Box
- RIP DVDs like a there is no tomorrow using x264, AoTuV b5 Vorbis and srt in MKV
- Download lots and lots of stuff from the internet
- Listen to Loud Heavy Metal music
- and perhaps try to overclock this rig a bit to boost performance.
So here are some questions:
Would this system give me excellent audio and video quality ?
I don't intend to play any HD Videos, but still, how will this be for HD Videos ?
Any issues with Gnome or KDE on this ?
Would I get suffitient framerates in games I play ?
Do you think Unreal Tournament 3 will be playable at lowest settings, 1024x768 ?
Is the Jetway M2N better, with the nVidia 6100 GPU ?(I have a strong feeling it isn't)
This signature does not exist