Thread: Which Version for A boat anchor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Which Version for A boat anchor?

Hey everyone,

I'm not much for posting as I find most of my answers from google and other posts, but, alas I have hit a snag.

I am not much of a linux guru, so its hard to decide how to address my problem.

I have an ancient laptop. One I want to give to my kid sister, she's 8. I don't want her running windows, for security reasons.

It is an old compaq, 120 Mhz, 1.2 gb hdd, 32 or 64 megs of ram 1 meg video.

I want her to be able to run a linux os, any recommendations for an os that will give her good driver support / speed, but not make her wait all day?

I'd prefer debian based, but anything to save space.

-Divider
    AMD Phenom x4 9850 | 4 GB DDR2 OCZ Crossfire Memory | Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard | 1 GB 4870 Radeon | 2x 500 GB RAID 0 | 850w Black Widow PSU | Blue ORB II CPU FAN | SATA DVD-RW | Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Which Version for A boat anchor?

DSL would work well. You might be shaving it a bit close with Puppy.
    DSL is based on Debian. You can put real Debian on it, but you might have to forgo the X-server.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    DSL would work well. You might be shaving it a bit close with Puppy.
    DSL is based on Debian. You can put real Debian on it, but you might have to forgo the X-server.
    Is there any option with an X server, shes only 8. So console is not exactly her thing.

you said DSL? would that allow an X interface?

She probably won't need more than 50-100 megs free, for paintings and text and maybe a song or two.

She mostly wants to go on the internet and play on webkins i think it is called.
    AMD Phenom x4 9850 | 4 GB DDR2 OCZ Crossfire Memory | Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard | 1 GB 4870 Radeon | 2x 500 GB RAID 0 | 850w Black Widow PSU | Blue ORB II CPU FAN | SATA DVD-RW | Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Divider View Post
    you said DSL? would that allow an X interface?
    Yes, it seems so. Check out their website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mali2297 View Post
    Yes, it seems so. Check out their website.
    Thanks,

Slight problem, the interface works correctly, but it seems a bit complex for an 8 year old. And the Wifi Configuration is very confusing. Luckily though as I thought my old truemobile card required no additional drivers. So we are getting somewhere.

I'm wondering if there is a program similar to wireless assistant i could put on the dsl machine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Divider View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm not much for posting as I find most of my answers from google and other posts, but, alas I have hit a snag.

I am not much of a linux guru, so its hard to decide how to address my problem.

I have an ancient laptop. One I want to give to my kid sister, she's 8. I don't want her running windows, for security reasons.

It is an old compaq, 120 Mhz, 1.2 gb hdd, 32 or 64 megs of ram 1 meg video.

I want her to be able to run a linux os, any recommendations for an os that will give her good driver support / speed, but not make her wait all day?

I'd prefer debian based, but anything to save space.

-Divider
    a computer with these specs has no use with todays internet. it's way under powered, no matter what operating system you use. i do however suggest a fresh install of windows 98se rather than any version of linux. if she does screw it up, in less than 30 minutes you can reinstall it. and i hope you've got a highspeed internet connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by oilchangeguy View Post
    a computer with these specs has no use with todays internet. it's way under powered, no matter what operating system you use. i do however suggest a fresh install of windows 98se rather than any version of linux. if she does screw it up, in less than 30 minutes you can reinstall it. and i hope you've got a highspeed internet connection.
    I strongly Disagree, But thanks for your input it is appreciated.

As for me I have descided after looking at DSL and Puppy, that puppy runs better for the hardware. As well as it has a cute little interface that my little sis would absolutely love.

Thanks for all your replies.