Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by libqscim.so)

Beans

Unhappy [SOLVED] libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by libqscim.so)

So I've been trying to get OpenOffice to accept SCIM (and by extension, Japanese) input under KDE for a while now, with no mentionable success. Installing the KDE extensions from the openoffice.org-kde package makes it completely ignore SCIM hotkeys, and manually selecting languages via the tray icon doesn't change what characters are sent to OO.o. It works in all other programs, with the sole and only exception being OpenOffice with the KDE extensions. Replacing the KDE extensions with the Gnome ones (openoffice.org-gnome package) makes SCIM work, but OpenOffice becomes unusable. All the icons under the menu bar in the writer disappear upon mouseover, for instance.

This *only* happens without the Gnome extensions.

I figured it might be something with the version available from our repositories, so I downloaded the latest 2.4.0 version from openoffice.org, with the same results. Now I'm trying with the 3.0.0 beta (300_m2), which doesn't work either. BUT, it output something interesting to the terminal when I open up a text document.
    Code:
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/ure-link/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqscim.so)
    GLIBCCX is related to gcc, isn't it? Has it been compiled with an outdated version of it? Would compiling it myself help?

Beans

Re: libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by libqscim.so)

Well, problem circumvented by actually *fixing* the system to use scim in XIM-dependent programs. My /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/skim file, which was chosen as the alternative for /etc/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL, was *incomplete*. I didn't have the option to choose scim or scim-bridge instead. That likely would've fixed the issue straight-away, since I only have scim installed because skim pulled it as a dependency.

The top of said skim file read:
    Code:
    XIM=SCIM
    XIM_PROGRAM=" "
    Obviously, the latter line worried me, since all guides and howtos I've read says to modify scim and/or scim-bridge to say the following:
    Code:
    XIM=SCIM
    XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim
    XIM_ARGS="-d"
    XIM_PROGRAM_SETS_ITSELF_AS_DAEMON=yes
    So I modified it thus, logged out, did a /etc/init.d/kdm restart, and everything now works.

Tagging as solved.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by libqscim.

My error message is slightly different from yours:

(soffice:8588): Gtk-WARNING **: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/ure-link/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-scim.so)

(soffice:8588): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'scim' failed
    Maybe that's why your solution didn't work for me.

Here's the solution that works for me:

cd /opt/openoffice.org3/basis-link/ure-link/lib

sudo mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.orig
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9 libstdc++.so.6

sudo mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.orig
    sudo ln -s /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    Hope this helps those suffering from the same issue.

If anyone knows of a better solution, please share. :)
    Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers & elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [SOLVED] libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by libqscim.

hongleong your post is worth gold. Thanks a lot!

Why did the O/O guys forced such libs in their distrib is a mystery...
    Renaming them (don't need to [and better not] create the links actually, on intrepid) solves this long known scim problem.
    Code:
    sudo mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.orig
    No more "Thanks" button?
    Last edited by Kleenux; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Beans

Thanks paris-unmatch. I deleted the links and it still works fine. Yep, I think yours is a better solution.
    Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers & elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.

Beans

hongeong and paris-unmatched thank you very much for this tip. renaming the two libraries worked perfectly for me. I guessed by the error message that linking to the library in my /usr/lib directory would work but the GLIBCXX_3.4.9 part of it made me unceirtain...
    but the solution with just renaming the files in the OO directory is realy neat. thank you so much again

Beans

Honestly between the different forums and explanations. I never found a working method.
    I can admit that this is mostly my fault, but if someone also have the problem here is the solution from Matthias Kell. The only one that worked for me after struggling for a week:

My error was:
    usr/local/matlab2008/sys/os/glnxa64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

The solution
    In the directory $MATLAB/sys/os/glnxa64 (make a backup before you start to change things) do the following:

Delete the these libs (first one is a symlink to the second)

# rm libstdc++.so.6
    # rm libstdc++.so.6.0.3

Then subsitute the last two by the current ones used by gcc (copy or symlink). I found them in /usr/lib:

# ln -s /usr/lib/libstd* .

Then, remove Matlab's libgcc_s.so.1

# rm libgcc_s.so.1

And copy (or make a symlink) to the OS's current one (I found it in /lib)

# ln -s /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 .

Beans

Thanks hongeong and paris-unmatched! I used the same method for a similar problem, except used "libstdc++.so.6.0.14" instead of "libstdc++.so.6.0.9"

This was the error while running a simulation in Xilinx...

opt/Xilinx2/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin/ise
    /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1/firefox-bin: /opt/Xilinx2/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE//lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1/libxul.so)
    /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1/firefox-bin: /opt/Xilinx2/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE//lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1/libxul.so)

...which was solved with this;

cd opt/Xilinx2/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE/lib/lin

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14 libstdc++.so.6
    Last edited by dubious5; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks dubious5, hongeong, and paris-unmatched!

Got the same error in Xilinx ISE "Errors" and "Warning" hyperlinks.
    Almost exactly the same solution (only changes are in first line):

cd /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE/lib/lin64

"
    Dubious5 said:
    ...which was solved with this;

cd opt/Xilinx2/13.1/ISE_DS/ISE/lib/lin

"

Beans

Thank you guys.

The commands
    Code:
    cd xilinx_path/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin64
    also solved my problem.
    After installing Xilinx ISE I could not open an html file by using the terminal. Indeed, the following error was displayed:
    /usr/lib/firefox-5.0/firefox-bin: xilinx_path/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox-5.0/libxul.so)
    But now, everything is back to normality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast