Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Edition GUI query

Beans

Server Edition GUI query

Hihi :]
    Installed the server edition earlier, and when loaded, I got a CLI, with no hint of GUI. Was wondering if someone could set me straight to install the rest of a 'standard' install to give me the (much needed!) gui?
    Thanks for considering!
    Orb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Server Edition GUI query

It depends on whether you need just X server or a full desktop environment. If it's a server, you won't want to waste resources with a Gnome/KDE/XFCE.
    Just X:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
    Gnome:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    If you wanted a light version with some GUI features (e.g. text editor, browser), you'd install X, then Gedit, firefox etc.

Beans

Or you could just use:

Code:

sudo apt-get install kdebase kdm x-window-system-core
    to get away with extra packages.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thankyou cwgatling!
    I think both of those are a great solution. I was kindof hoping that someone would suggest the normal GUI for ubuntu server edition. The server can handle any GUI I'm sure, it's pretty overpowered for its impending task of serving a page.
    Does ubuntu server normally come with GUI? I'm pretty sure I didn't skip anything.. ;D and when given the option to select install options, I selected everything, but don't remember seeing any desktop available.. :]
    Thanks for help ;]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The server edition doesn't come with a GUI. To make it into a normal desktop install, it would be the second command (ubuntu-desktop), but this installs far more than you'd need on a server (games, IM, email client etc).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwgatling View Post
    The server edition doesn't come with a GUI. To make it into a normal desktop install, it would be the second command (ubuntu-desktop), but this installs far more than you'd need on a server (games, IM, email client etc).
    Thanks cwgatling!
    I'll go for the ubuntu-desktop. The space isn't an issue, and I don't think that would install many daemons right? So resources should be still minimal. If I find myself with an increasingly slow server, I can always uninstall some things to lighten it.
    :]
    Thankyou again

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No, no daemons will be installed. You can remove anything you don't need through Synaptic. Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

why do you want to a have a gui anyway on a server?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    why do you want to a have a gui anyway on a server?
    Partly psychological. I feel safer ;D
    Also, I don't know many commands for the CLI alone, so will find navigating through visual folders and setting shares etc, and more straightforward thing. Even if it's potentially slower.. :]
    What I'm wondering, is can daemons be viewed in GUI? Can all the services that I need to run be assessed in a list?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hungryOrb View Post
    Partly psychological. I feel safer ;D
    Also, I don't know many commands for the CLI alone, so will find navigating through visual folders and setting shares etc, and more straightforward thing. Even if it's potentially slower.. :]
    What I'm wondering, is can daemons be viewed in GUI? Can all the services that I need to run be assessed in a list?
    Yes you can, from using the GUI. Go to System->Administration->Services. You could view all your services in here, enable it or disable it as you like.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast