Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enable 'Remove Launcher' in 'Open With' window?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Enable 'Remove Launcher' in 'Open With' window?

Hi,

How do I enable the 'Remove Launcher' menu in the 'Open With' dialog?

Thank you.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Enable 'Remove Launcher' in 'Open With' window?

Or, if not possible, how do I modify the 'Open With' list.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

tbh i don't really see the point of adding the "remove launcher" to the "open with" dialog...
    (or are you just referring to the context-menu?)

anyway, if you can rightclick, your either in thunar or on the desktop and for both i have to ask: why would you need a "remove launcher" entry, when you can simply delete the file (i don't even understand the difference between "removing" a launcher and deleting the corresponding .desktop-file).
    Xubuntu Artwork Lead

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by morgengenuss View Post
    tbh i don't really see the point of adding the "remove launcher" to the "open with" dialog...
    (or are you just referring to the context-menu?)
    In Xfce, when you r-click a file and there are several applications the file can be opened with, the context menu has a submenu called 'Open With' which lists those other applications. There is also a menu item called 'Open With Other Application' which, when clicked, opens a window, entitled 'Open With', containing a list of installed apps to choose from. The list in this window is divided into two sections: applications in the 'Open With' list and all others. When I r-click an entry in that list the context menu has one item: 'Remove Launcher', which exists but is disabled in Xubuntu. According to Xfce documentation this is used to remove launchers from the 'Open With' List. I want to remove items from that list. For example, when I r-click a png image the 'Open With' list contains Sunbird, Thunderbird, Firefox and GIMP. I only want GIMP there.

when you can simply delete the file
    Unless it will remove an application from the 'Open With' list (and nowhere else), I don't want to delete any files. I want to customize the list of applications displayed in the 'Open With' list. The Xfce way of doing this is to r-click on the application in the 'Open With' window and clicking 'Remove Launcher', but in Xubuntu this is disabled.

(i don't even understand the difference between "removing" a launcher and deleting the corresponding .desktop-file).
    I suppose there is no difference. So, where are the .desktop files used for the 'Open With' list of the context menu and the 'Open With' dialog window? Oh wait, there are none. I already did a search for .desktop files that might be used in the 'Open With' list but there are none--only menu entries which I most certainly want to keep.
    Last edited by x1a4; June 1st, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

ok, sorry. now i understand your problem. to be honest i'm having my own trouble with this open-with dialog. sometimes when i pick a new default programme to open a file-type thunar doesn't remember it.

i would assume that there must be a file somewhere, containing the correspondences of mime-types and applications (and open-with-dialog options). i'll have a look and report back if i find anything (you can of course do the same if you like).
    Xubuntu Artwork Lead

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bump it up

Beans

Any luck with this one?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nope.

Beans

Does anyone know how to customize the Open With list?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bump

I am trying to figure this out myself.

It remembers all typo's as well. For text files I now have open with:
    mousepad
    mousepad\
    npp
    npp\

Yeah on certain keyboards, '\' under 'backspace' is my favorite typo key..
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast