Thread: Share Sprint EVDO Internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Share Sprint EVDO Internet

I have a Sprint U727 EVDO card working on a Hardy install (finally) and am trying to share this to other computers with my ethernet port through a router.

The only way I could get my EVDO card to work for internet is to unplug my ethernet cord. The first step is to figure out how to have both plugged in at once and still get internet. Then, through my rounter I have to find a way to share internet to other computers on the network (winxp and/or linux).

Any ideas of where I should start?

Thanks
    What gets wetter as it dries? Answer: [a towel]

Beans

Re: Share Sprint EVDO Internet

I'm also trying to find a solution to this problem...

I'd like to create a network and share the connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acorn22 View Post
    I have a Sprint U727 EVDO card working on a Hardy install (finally) and am trying to share this to other computers with my ethernet port through a router.

The only way I could get my EVDO card to work for internet is to unplug my ethernet cord. The first step is to figure out how to have both plugged in at once and still get internet. Then, through my rounter I have to find a way to share internet to other computers on the network (winxp and/or linux).

Any ideas of where I should start?

Thanks
    May I inquire as to how you were able to the U727 working? I can't find any recent documentation. I have determined that the airprime driver in my kernel already supports the device, I just can't get a ppp0 device on my system.

As for your problem, you are probably just having a routing issue. You need to set the default gateway for your system with the U727 card to be the gateway that the EVDO connection returns.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

to get it working I basically just followed the instructions sprint offers at sprint.com/downloads (I think) in a PDF. One thing to note is that I used wvdail and it worked much better. Also, it took about a week to find out that when you do the eject command for the u27 device on my computer you need to use "sd0" as the device to ecject (not cd0).

Here's my wvdial.conf
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 4608800
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    IDSN = 0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Phone = #777
    Username = ''
    Password = ''
    Carrier Check = no
    Stupid Mode = yes
    New PPPD = yes
    What gets wetter as it dries? Answer: [a towel]

Beans

I wrote a quick script to connect and disconnect the modem. You should follow the above advice to set up wvdial. I then added a custom launcher to the gnome panel and I added "Network Monitor 2.12.1" to the notification area. This little app monitors ppp and indicates when you are connected.

toggle_evdo.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

executable="wvdial"
    device="/dev/sr1"
    drive="/media/MICROSD"

string=$(ps -ef | grep "${executable}" | grep -v grep)

if [[ ${string} = "" ]]
    then
    #    echo "not running"
        eject ${device} 2>/dev/null 
        sleep 5
        wvdial
    else
    #    echo "running"
        pid_to_kill=$(ps -ef | grep "${executable}" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')
        kill ${pid_to_kill}  2>/dev/null
        eject ${drive} 2>/dev/null 
    fi

exit 0
    Just change the mount points for the devices and off you go!

In case you don't know, this device has a built in CDROM emulation that must mount then be unmounted in order for the modem to trigger and be recognized. In gutsy, I had to recompile the airprime driver with the device setting for the U727 but they are loaded OOB in Hardy.

Hope this helps someone!