Thread: Gnome calendar

Hybrid View

Beans

Gnome calendar

How can I change, what day does the week start with? In my country, it starts with Monday and it's really annoying to see that Sunday there all the time.

Beans

Re: Gnome calendar

Look around in System->Administration->Time and Date

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

Look around in System->Administration->Time and Date
    Ah, no, that's not what he wants. He wants to change the appearance of the calender that pops when one clicks the clock (Clock-applet) in the top right corner of a GNOME desktop. This question was asked yesterday in the Abs Beginner forum, and is still unresolved.

You can change the time / date by the method you describe, just not the format. Try it: Pick any European city and see the clock time display change. Now click on it - that @#$* calender still insists on the US display (elsewhere in the world the week starts with Monday). Restart or no restart - the popped calender insists on US formatting. After you see the time change in the display, open a terminal and give the "locale" command - if you're a US user everything still says en_US.UTF-8.

It gets more complicated than that: via gconf-editor one has means to specify the formatting of the Clock applet's display - but not the popped calender. And yes, Evolution will let you specify the start of your work week - but not the start day of the week itself. Try it - no joy.

It's an interesting problem - I've seen screenshots of a non-US format calender via the Clock applet, so I know it can be done. I'm thinking it's a locale setting issue ... but I'm very rusty on locale stuff.

I think he needs to do something (but not yet!) along the lines of an update-locale TIME=et_EE.<something> - that's where I'm stuck: on the country code needed and the char set. I also haven't worked out what side-effect if any this will cause. This line of thought is backed by some googling - it's solved in Slackware via proper locale setup.
    Main system: Dell 1420n - C2D T5250, 4GB RAM, 120GB SATA. Ubuntu 8.04.3.
    Assorted VMs (via VBox). Favorites: Fedora, FreeBSD, Solaris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Evolution has a parameter for start day in calendar preferences. Mine is set to Monday and when viewing the calendar within evolution the view is Monday first. The date time display in the applet bar does always start with Sunday. The calendar data you are viewing is from the evolution data base. There is a small application called "dates" that also shares the evolution data base. It also starts views with Monday. I draged its icon to my applet bar for quick access.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by magnus0 View Post
    How can I change, what day does the week start with? In my country, it starts with Monday and it's really annoying to see that Sunday there all the time.
    That helped me:

Beans

Gnome calendar applet adheres to your locale settings. In Ubuntu, you can assign locale components by editing the file /etc/defaults/locale. Here is what I've got there:

$ cat /etc/default/locale
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"

Which means: I want software messages in American, but time, paper size and units in British i.e. weeks starting with Mondays, A4, metric.

To see your current locale settings:

$ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

Beans

Smile Re: Gnome calendar

Thanks, artm, works perfectly. And avoids messing with files that are overridden by apt-get upgrade later. Just grand.

Beans

artm,

thank you very much, it works.

Beans