Thread: Freeze-up With Maximized Windows?

Beans

Freeze-up With Maximized Windows?

I just got Hardy, and after an extremely easy WiFi configuration, I went and enabled the restricted drivers for my ATI X2600 Pro AGP. After a reboot, I enabled the extra visual effects, which seemed to work fine (wobbly windows and stuff).

But then I tried maximizing the window (which was the Appearance preference panel, but it happens with every window I've tried), the entire system froze solid. It won't respond to anything, and the only way to recover it is a hard reboot.

Is there a fix for this? A lot of my apps were maximized when I closed them last, so they open maximized now, and cause a system crash...Needless to say, it's very annoying.

Beans

Re: Freeze-up With Maximized Windows?

Ok, I tried the EnvyNG drivers instead, and I got the freeze-up again, but this time it worked for about 5 minutes before freezing. And it wasn't immediately following a maximize, it was just after I opened a drop-down menu.

In addition, using the EnvyNG drivers seems to have slowed down my USB even more than it was before (it's USB 1.1, but now it's running slow enough that I can't use my USB keyboard because it misses keypresses...)

Does anybody know how to help?

Edit: woops, sorry for the double post...

Beans

ever find the fix for the maximize problem?

I'm having the same issue trying to run my samsung LCD tv.

Beans

I'm having the same issues with the nVidia drivers. I uninstalled the 180 and installed the 173, and it fixed alot of the issues. Everything works fine now except for Firefox, I have to revert back to no 3d effects to use it. What's strange though, is that I have Ubuntu Studio 9.04 installed, and it works flawlessly, not one singe maximize issue at full effects.