Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Easiest way to share files & printers with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Easiest way to share files & printers with Windows

I've got a problem with my Samba shares. I was playing around with Webmin and screwed up my Samba config.
    It used to work just fine but I wanted to add write support to some shares and I messed up.

I can get Samba to work with a guest user account but that's not secure at all. If I turn the guest access off it won't even let me connect to the Ubuntu box.

Connecting Windows Vista to Ubuntu Server Edition 8.04. It used to work before I started messing around with the configuration through Webmin. (I know, a dumb thing to do, but I needed write access)

Can someone please help me? Is there any way to reset the samba configuration? I tried removing and reinstalling samba but the config stays the same. And I also think that my home directory has messed up permissions.

PS: I followed this guide but it doesn't solve anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

netyire

Thanks so much for this the tutorial. It is the easiest share procedure that actually works!
    Where Liberty dwells, there is my country -- Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I guess this printing method just uses CUPS without Samba? Never knew it could do that.

So I guess I can make my smb.conf totally different for my shares and the printing will still work.

Beans

This article worked flawlessly, thank you. The only issue I had was not having the driver available but since it was already installed I just went to the new printers Properties -> Advanced in Windows and changed the driver.

Beans

My windows machine rebooted and now it doesn't connect to my ubuntu machine. I've restarted the Samba daemons on my Linux box but no connection. I was all set to celebrate too, it was working like a champ. =o( Why would rebooting completely derail connectivity?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi RgnKjnVA, try performing this step again:

Windows XP
    - Open My Computer, click tools->map network drive
    - Enter "\\LINUXIPADDRESS\Shared" in 'Folder' box and select an unused drive letter
    - Click 'Finish'

If you don't want to keep on performing this step everytime you reboot, try checking reconnect at logon.

Beans

False alarm, the XP didn't have connectivity to anything. It came back after a bounce. I'm backing up my music as I type, thanks!

Beans

I have Ubuntu (Hardy) running on my desktop which is wired to my wireless modem router. I have a Brother laser printer connected to this desktop via USB.

I also have two laptops in the house (one with Windows XP & the other with Vista) which connect wirelessly to the router. I am trying to get these to access the printer via the desktop. I had this working fine when I had XP on the desktop. I have followed the how to instructions but I hit a snag when entering the IP address in the browser in windows. The IP address of the desktop is 198.162.0.40, so I entered 192.168.0.40:631/printers in to IE on both laptops and neither laptop returned a webpage. I can ping the desktop from the laptop OK.

The printer is published and shared and internet printing is enabled.

Any suggestions very welcome.
    Last edited by idlefrog; August 13th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

Thank you for a great Howto.
    Did'nt work as I expected but it works, (I guess I fumbled a few things.)

Beans

I do not want file sharing just yet.

I do want printer sharing.

Do I need to install samba?

I have a Windows guest via VirtualBox on my Ubuntu 8.10 install. From within my Windows guest when I ping the actual IP address of Ubuntu, I get timeouts. Form that same Windows guest I can ping all other IP addresses (Windows boxes) on the subnet. Ubuntu and Windows are all on the same subnet (i.e. 191.167.33.x). Can anyone explain why I cannot ping Ububtu from Windows?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast