Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

Beans

SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

SOLVED...Headphone & Speaker Issues:
    Ussualy effect intel HDA sound cards...Sound comes out both fronts and headphones at same time!

My Solution for Ubuntu8.04.............Basicaly you just want to add a switch to the volume controll!

Tell alsa which driver to use for your hda intel sound card. You do this by first looking at the output of
    Code:
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

Mine was:
    Codec Realtek ALC888

SO you then issue the command:
    Code:
    zless /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz

Look for the subtitle "Module snd-hda-intel".
    In this subsection look for the name of codec “you” aquired from the output above...Mine was Realtek ALC888...so after locating the list for “Module snd-hda-intel” I scrolled down further to find:

ALC883/888 then I looked at the options directly under and chose “3stack-6ch 3-jack 6
    channel” you may have to choose another option or experiment.

Important!!!!Now that you have an option what do you do with it.........1st you only take the part of it...that is the part directly under the listed codec...for me that is “3stack-6ch” and add it to the following line to get:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch

Without the underline of course, so that it looks like:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch

This is the line that you need to add to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base by doing the following:

For Ubuntu:
    sudo gedit /ect/modprobe.d/alsa-base

When the new window opens, cut and paste the new line you have just made at the bottom of all the text, save and exit.

Restart and hopefully if you have not buggered up with the spacing as I did you should now have a SWITCH option in your “Volume Contol” found in the desktop panel. Just deselect or select to switch between speakers of headphones as it should have been from the start.

HOW RIDICULOUS FOR something SO ESSENTIAL...TOOK ME ALL DAY TALKING TO MYSELF AND SEARCHING THE NET TO FIX. Oh yea..a special thanks to the guys at the Suse Forum as well

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP SOMONE ELSE...I would say it was more a case with the module than it was ever with updating...but then again I dont know that much ecept what I have learnt today...........Persistance Pays I guess!
    Last edited by davidkyn; May 25th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

Thank You so much davidkyn for your post!

Solved my problem in 5 mins after browsing a lot on the web!

Beans

Re: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

your welcome...took me ages to resolve as well

Beans

Thumbs down Re: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

I just thought I would mention that my sound is working perfectly on my 64-bit system as we speak as a result of this fix.
    I have the ACL262 on a fujitsu laptop, and was able to add the line, restart, and voila!
    Excellent advice!
    And there's not even a switch necessary afterwards... Jack in, speakers off.
    God I love a working linux system!

Beans

options snd-hda-intel model=haier-w66

Worked for my Asus m50SV-A1. Perhaps we could start a thread to correlate the alsa model parameters with laptop models?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well the easier way
    download alsamixergui and configure everything
    easy living
    Last edited by chriskin; June 9th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I can confirm this works on my LG e550, though the headphone switch seems to operate backwards -- if the 'headphone' box is checked, it will play through the speakers, and if it is unchecked, it will play through the speakers only if the headphones are unplugged.

Beans

I've been having similar problems with my laptop's onboard sound (nothing, rather than both, working), and it uses an Intel motherboard and audio processor - so I'll try your solution. Thanks davidkyn, that's both helpful and easy to follow
    "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."
    - The Doctor, The Wheel in Space

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i have tried this solution but it appears to not do anything. i still have the same issues. i run hardy on an asus m50, and i noticed there were a few asus tags in the alc880, but the intial command yields an alc888, would there be any downside to trying out something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wasutton3 View Post
    i have tried this solution but it appears to not do anything. i still have the same issues. i run hardy on an asus m50, and i noticed there were a few asus tags in the alc880, but the intial command yields an alc888, would there be any downside to trying out something else?

I got an Asus M50SA laptop, and I got a "working" headphone switch with the targa-dig model.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast