Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

Beans

Re: SOLVED Headphone & Speaker Issue SOLVED

Hey there all, I am an extreme beginner... not that that is established, I am trying to get my sound card to work on an HP mini 1010 I am using the netbook remix 9.04 and when i go to select the HDA ALSA option on the sound preferences below is the error that i receive....

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=music: Could not open audio device for playback.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

T

Beans

I have a problem, internal speakers would not mute after my headphones were plugged.

laptop hp Pavilion tx2525nr
    Ubuntu 9.04 (amd 64)
    codec: Realtec ALC268

I had try a lot of variable (hp, toshiba, 3stac, e.t.c. ) in string "options snd-hda-intel model = ... " but nothing didn't halp me

Hi v04sva,

You can try to install "linux-backports-modules-jaunty" (and revert your changes to "snd-hda-intel").

Ric.

Beans

What about Dell Inspiron 1410 - S66 ? I almost frustrated to find the model should I put at options snd-hda-intel model=???????

Anyone can give me advice, before I'm surrender from Ubuntu?

regards,
    gbrotos

Quote Originally Posted by davidkyn View Post
    SOLVED...Headphone & Speaker Issues:
    Ussualy effect intel HDA sound cards...Sound comes out both fronts and headphones at same time!

My Solution for Ubuntu8.04.............Basicaly you just want to add a switch to the volume controll!

Tell alsa which driver to use for your hda intel sound card. You do this by first looking at the output of
    Code:
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

Mine was:
    Codec Realtek ALC888

SO you then issue the command:
    Code:
    zless /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz

Look for the subtitle "Module snd-hda-intel".
    In this subsection look for the name of codec “you” aquired from the output above...Mine was Realtek ALC888...so after locating the list for “Module snd-hda-intel” I scrolled down further to find:

ALC883/888 then I looked at the options directly under and chose “3stack-6ch 3-jack 6
    channel” you may have to choose another option or experiment.

Important!!!!Now that you have an option what do you do with it.........1st you only take the part of it...that is the part directly under the listed codec...for me that is “3stack-6ch” and add it to the following line to get:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch

Without the underline of course, so that it looks like:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch

This is the line that you need to add to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base by doing the following:

For Ubuntu:
    sudo gedit /ect/modprobe.d/alsa-base

When the new window opens, cut and paste the new line you have just made at the bottom of all the text, save and exit.

Restart and hopefully if you have not buggered up with the spacing as I did you should now have a SWITCH option in your “Volume Contol” found in the desktop panel. Just deselect or select to switch between speakers of headphones as it should have been from the start.

HOW RIDICULOUS FOR something SO ESSENTIAL...TOOK ME ALL DAY TALKING TO MYSELF AND SEARCHING THE NET TO FIX. Oh yea..a special thanks to the guys at the Suse Forum as well

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP SOMONE ELSE...I would say it was more a case with the module than it was ever with updating...but then again I dont know that much ecept what I have learnt today...........Persistance Pays I guess!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pedhead View Post
    It looks like this is heading me in the right direction. However, when I enter the command-

sudo gedit /ect/modprobe.d/alsa.base

I open a window named-

*alsa.base (ect/modprobe.d) - gedit

this window is completely blank. But I tried entering the text anyways-

options snd-hda-intel model=vaio

And I get an error message reading-

Could not save the file [i]/ect/modprobe.d/alsa.base[i] unexpected error, file not found

So I close out that window and I have an error message on my terminal, basically saying the same thing...

I would think that file would be named the same in Mint as in Ubuntu, but maybe I am wrong..? Maybe I am missing something?

EDIT:: OK THE WINDOW HAS TEXT IN IT, ITS JUST HIDDEN! THANKS!!
    ok it seems im at exactly this point with the same problem - anyone want to help the newb out please

Note that the correct filename is
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    instead of "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.base" (there's a minus sign between "alsa" and "base", not a dot. It's also recommendend to use the ".conf" extension.

Ric.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ricflomag View Post
    Note that the correct filename is
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    instead of "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.base" (there's a minus sign between "alsa" and "base", not a dot. It's also recommendend to use the ".conf" extension.

Ric.
    thanks ricflomag, when i try and save this file i get a perrmisions error - how do you get permission for root files?

Press ALT+F2 and type the following command:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    This will open the text editor with root permissions.
    Hope it helps.
    Ric.

Beans

thanks for that mate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi there

I'm trying to fix a friend of mine's Asus F3E, with Ubuntu 9.04 installed, and despite there are already two users reporting that "lenovo" option works, it doesn't change nothing for me (with "microphone" checkbox either way - selected/not selected).
    The F3E has 660-VD codec, and I tried all the options listed there, too, still - didn't help.
    Alsa version on the machine - 1.0.18.

Should I try to downgrade to 8.10 ? Because I think both success reports are on 8.10 (based on post dates)? Or install newer/older Alsa ?

I'd be very grateful if someone with such machine shares his (working) configuration, too

EDIT:
    So now I can confirm that the line:
    options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=lenovo
    works fine with the ASUS F3E, ALC660-VD
    Last edited by marin.r; June 28th, 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: solution found :)

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast