View Poll Results: Python or Ruby?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Python

41 73.21%
  • Ruby

15 26.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting programming: Ruby or Python?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Starting programming: Ruby or Python?

Hello everyone!

I want to start programming, and I'm considering Python or Ruby (and later I hope that I'll pass onto C/C++, Java or maybe even some functional programming language), but I don't know which one of them should I choose. So I'd really like to hear your opinions about it.

P.S. I already know some of the programming basics.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Starting programming: Ruby or Python?

Both have their advantages and inconvenients. Here's a partial comparison :
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/document...y-from-python/

Python has a more complete library and is faster.
    À la chasse au boson intermédiaire

Beans

There was a similar thread discussing Rb and Py, but whatever.

If you ask me, picking one of them is like between green and red apples. Very similar, but someone likes red, some do green. Technically though, both are apples, so you can eat whichever you like. Who would know if you like green apples or red ones? Only you can, after eating one of each, seeing the differences.

Hope I awakened the philosopher in you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post

If you ask me, picking one of them is like between green and red apples. Very similar, but someone likes red, some do green. Technically though, both are apples, so you can eat whichever you like. Who would know if you like green apples or red ones? Only you can, after eating one of each, seeing the differences.

well said. I agree though, both are similar and are a pretty good place to begin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OK, but can you tell me which are the advantages of being green/red??? Or which apple do you people presonally like more, and why?

You certainly did!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I think Python is good to learn as your first language, as it will teach many good habits regarding indents, readability, etc. The main adavantage you will get with Ruby is that you will really understand object-oriented programming from the get-go, much better than Python.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Hello everyone!

I want to start programming, and I'm considering Python or Ruby (and later I hope that I'll pass onto C/C++, Java or maybe even some functional programming language), but I don't know which one of them should I choose. So I'd really like to hear your opinions about it.

P.S. I already know some of the programming basics.
    See my home page and the language selector and my wiki. See wikipedia. See http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRuby

Only you can make the decision, and this decision isn't that big.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
    I think Python is good to learn as your first language, as it will teach many good habits regarding indents, readability, etc. The main adavantage you will get with Ruby is that you will really understand object-oriented programming from the get-go, much better than Python.
    Not really. The details of OO are not what beginners notice or even care about. Ruby and Python are not that different in their approach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

See sticky FAQ: "Why I love/hate" entries for Ruby and Python.

Both languages are almost equivalent by itself, and are targeting the same niche. So it is hard to distinguish by language features alone. But if you take into consideration other factors, and consider how the competition between these languages will form over next 5-10 years, choice might be more obvious.

Python is little older, has bigger library and bigger community. Ruby is younger ("hotter" for language junkies) and is more pure OO - but Python has generic functions where Ruby has object methods for length etc.

Python development community is in USA and Europe, Ruby's main devel list is in Japanese.

Python is selected as one of main programming languages in Google, is used in NASA, ubuntu uses it as main language too. Ruby AFAIK does not have this 'approval'. There is SciPy conference about using Python is science computing, separate from PyCon, more oriented on language itself.

Python was designed to be used also by scientists who need to program, but are not CompSci experts: focus on readability, code outline defines structure, etc. Ruby is more modern sanctuary for old Perl hackers, who enjoy code so succinct it might be cryptic for less than expert hackers. This is feature for Ruby lovers, but a bug for Pythonistas.

Google App Engine (free web app hosting and more) works with Python only for now, and Ruby is not between Google's own preferred languages.

Ruby gained a lot of popularity 5 years ago with excellent web app framework, Rails, but since then many ideas were included to Python frameworks (Django, Turbogears) as well.

Summary (looking into my magic crystal ball ): Ruby is fine language, but does not have enough to it to overcome early start advantage ans focus on readability of Python. Ruby will remain fine niche language, while Python will become mainstream, even enterprise-strong language.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ruby is my choice.

The pure elegance of the object orientation is remarkable. I love the freedom to make my code as clean or as "succinct" as I want it to. Many large companies are adopting Ruby.. AMD, Google, and others have been visibly showing interest in using it.

I like how there are multiple ways to establish one end-point. Such is the ambiguity of spoken language, many different ways to say similar things; each with their own interpretation.

Python may be four years older and have more followers, but as many of us know being the most popular does not mean something is the best.

You should look into both languages and decide yourself. Both Ruby and Python are wonderful languages but have different philosophies and practices - the only person who can decide what is right for you is you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast