Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless Network Detected, But Can't Connect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Wireless Network Detected, But Can't Connect

Network Manager is finding the wireless network just fine--SSID, signal strength reading, channel, the whole nine yards--but whenever I try connecting to it, Network Manager tries for about a minute and then gives up. I'm not quite sure what the problem is exactly. When I try connecting to my wireless network, the message reads "Wireless network connection to 'Rudyfi' (0%)," except I'm sitting right next to the router and Network Manager shows that I'm getting a 100% signal. I tried connecting the other night, but then it would stall for the minute and give me a message along the lines of "Trying to get the network key."

I'm not sure how much of this will help, but I got my wireless card up and running (it DID work just fine a few weeks ago) using this tutorial:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=512828

Here's the output of an iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Rudyfi"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
    Power Management: off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

The router is a D-Link, but I don't really think that should make any difference. It's secured with WPA, but I've got wpasupplicant installed, so I don't think that would be an issue either. Then again, if I knew what the issue was, I wouldn't be posting this.

Anyway, if anyone out there is in a helpful mood, I'd really appreciate it. After all, it's kinda pointless to have a laptop and not be able to connect to wireless networks with it. I'm not a Linux master, but I'm not completely new to it either. I follow instructions and tutorials quite well, and I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless Network Detected, But Can't Connect

Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

Hmm...I tried installing Wicd yesterday, and it did just about as well as Network Manager did. Kept trying to connect, but it never actually did. I'll give it another shot and sees what happens, though. It is Linux, after all, and things like this have a strange tendency to change overnight .

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, no joy with Wicd. It picked up the wireless signal just like Network Manager did, but it wouldn't connect to it. It tried to get an IP address from the router for about a few minutes, and then it just gave up. Any other ideas?

Beans

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using a TrendNet USB wireless adapter with Mythbuntu (see my post below). My output looks exactly the same as yours. I'll be watching your progress (sorry for semi-hijacking your thread).

IC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm having same problem with my AWUS036H Alfa USB antenna (chipset rt8187)
    Ubuntu is said to support this..but I can't get it to show in iwconfig ..the only way I get it to show up is with ndiswrapper. But same thing..I see networks all over..but won't connect..times out.
    I also have a Belkin usb (rt2870) that only runs with ndiswrapper..and it works just fine.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm...good to know I'm not the only one having a problem. I suppose I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but I'm running Ubuntu Studio 8.04 AMD64 (on an 64-bit machine, of course). I've done some looking, and I haven't come up with anything useful yet. All of the suggestions/solutions I've come across for similar problems don't ever produce any results. I tried reinstalling the driver with ndiswrapper, but that didn't do anything either.

Anyone in a helpful mood ?

Beans

Man I wish I could help. My desktop (AMD64) wireless worked OK, but I'm back to a wired connection for speed(just seems more responsive). I've also switched the desktop back to 32 bit Ubuntu. I'm tired of dealing with the minor issues (flash, etc.) on 64bit. My laptop has forced me to use WICD...which is working FINE...but I really wish net-manager would work perfectly for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had the same problems and eventually solved it by reinstalling network-manager and kwallet-manager and then manually starting nm-applet using Alt-F2. That tied the keyring to the encryption key and I've been running fine ever since. With the exception of the reinstallations, I had tried all of that before and don't understand why I had no luck until then...

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

try this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

This way you'll not be using any network setup program so if anything goes wrong you'll know where it did and can post back whats causing problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast