Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless Network Detected, But Can't Connect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless Network Detected, But Can't Connect

My advice............abandon any wireless adapter that needs a windows driver via ndiswrapper to work. It just doesn't do it long term. Get yourself a native supported card. Plug it in and it just works. no configuring, no command line stuff.

Here's a good starting point:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/

I got the Comatrend RT2500 PCMCIA and all my troubles are over.

Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by nzadLithium View Post
    try this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

This way you'll not be using any network setup program so if anything goes wrong you'll know where it did and can post back whats causing problems
    I definitely agree with running everything from the command line. I have scripts to set up my wireless connection for different locations that I may be at and encryption is included with them. I'm not sure what the problem is/was, but even the scripts failed to connect when encryption was a factor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a million, nzadLithium! The tutorial at your link got my wireless up and running . As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now. It was an odd feeling to be able to go to a Website and get there without the LAN cable plugged in.

I'm glad I finally got some wireless up and running, but is there any easier way than punching in a bunch of commands into a terminal? Pgroover mentioned something about scripts...maybe I could use those. I suppose I could just keep the list of commands stored somewhere and use 'em everytime I need to get wireless up and running, but it'd rock if there was a faster, easier way.

In any case, thanks a bunch to everyone who helped out.

P.S. Pgroover, would you mind sending those scripts you use my way? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by seagullplayer77 View Post
    P.S. Pgroover, would you mind sending those scripts you use my way? I'd appreciate it a lot!
    Sure thing, basically you do exactly what you said:
    Save the commands in a file, make it executable, and then run it when needed. As time goes on, you can extend them to provide extra functionality as needed.

Just create a text file and put the following in it replacing the portions in capital letters with your networks specific info. Then make the file executable (chmod +x filename) and run it from the command line. Of course, if your wireless interface is something other than ath0, change that accordingly as well.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

sudo ifdown ath0
    sudo iwconfig ath0 essid YOUR_NETWORKSID key YOUR_ENCRYPTION_KEY ap YOUR_ACCESS_POINT
    sudo ifup ath0
    sudo dhclient ath0
    Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help, pgroover. I just ran the script you gave me, and I'm using my newly (sort of) acquired wireless connection right now. It took the better part of my Memorial Day weekend to finally get this stupid thing solved, but I'm happy that it's finally out of the way.

I really don't want to bother you any more, but how would you do different scripts for different locations? Would you just write a new one for a new location, or is there a way to add a location or fuctionality into the existing one? For example: I've got the script set to work with my grandparents' wireless right now, so how would I get it to work with my home wireless? Just change the ESSID and the password? How would I get it to work with an open network with no security? Just curious...

You've helped me quite a bit already, but if you're in the mood to guide me through a little more of this, I'd be a very happy man .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

basically to set up multiple scripts for different network connections:

stick this in a file
    sudo ifconfig <interface> down
    sudo dhclient -r <interface>
    sudo ifconfig <interface> up
    sudo iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID_IN_QUOTES" (key HEX_KEY)
    sudo iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
    sudo dhclient <interface>

replace interface with your interface
    type essid in
    if you have WEP security add the hex key bit. If you dont then dont include it.

save script. make executable.
    Open script (edit) then make any changes for second network. Save under different name. Then you can just run either script depending on which network your connecting to.

If your wanting to set up wireless network but your not sure of essid then you can find out available networks by doing this: iwlist scan.
    If you can do all this you can remove network manager completely (like I did. I got annoyed with it for being there but not doing working.
    Last edited by nzadLithium; May 26th, 2008 at 05:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

To keep it really simple, you can do exactly as you said using the same format for different scripts. To set one up without encryption just leave off the key portion and you should be fine.

A more complicated version would scan the available networks, locate ones it "knows" and then set up for the preferred one. I have one like that somewhere, but I'll have to find it, if I can. I wrote it quite awhile back and then stopped using it when the number of networks I connected to wasn't worth the hassle.

Don't worry about it, like nzadlithium, I don't mind at all.

Beans
    Distro

OK guys, I thought I had this fixed, but apparently not . I ran pgroover's script last night and it connected me to my wireless network without a hitch. I tried running it again this morning, though, and it gave me grief. It kept trying to get an IP, except it never got one. I tried running the script that nzadLithium gave me in a terminal window, and this is what it put out:

There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 12621
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1f:3a:5d:d6:d9
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1f:3a:5d:d6:d9
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPRELEASE on wlan0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67
    Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1f:3a:5d:d6:d9
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1f:3a:5d:d6:d9
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

I'm guessing the line that starts with "error" has something to do with the fact that it isn't working, but I'm not sure what the error refers to. I wonder if the reason the script worked last night was because I tried connecting through the terminal a number of times (unsuccessfully, I might add) before I tried running the script...Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Here's a quick update for anyone that's interested:

I tried modifying /etc/network/interfaces as per http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=345, and now the file looks like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eht0

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig hw ether 00:1f:3a:5d:d6:d9
    wpa-psk blah, blah, blah
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-ssid caljnet

The "blah, blah, blah" of course is my WPA password in hex, but other than that, that's what my /etc/network/interfaces file looks like. Could there be an issue with something in there? Currently, I'm working off my wired connection (which works perfectly fine--always has), and my wireless connection still refuses to connect. I've gotten it to work on three separate occasions, but the odd thing is that a solution never works more than once. I've used Network Manager once, the terminal once, and a script (ran from a terminal window) once, and all were successful in giving me wireless connectivity exactly once--no more, no less.

I'm lovin' my new 64 bit Ubuntu, but it would seriously suck if I'll have to boot into Vista (yuck!) every time I want to use a wireless connection . Any help?

Beans
    Distro

Well, for whatever reason, I finally got my wireless working (and it worked after a restart, too--that's a first!). I'm not sure exactly how I did it, but I ran:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether "MAC_ADDRESS"

Then I installed Wicd, and although it's never worked for me in the past, it worked today. Weird...For anyone else having a similar problem, my /etc/network/interfaces file contains the following:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eht0

And System > Administration > Network lists all of my interfaces as NOT connected (although the wireless most certainly is connected).

In any case, a big thank you to everyone who helped me out. Wouldn't be able to use Linux without all of the wonderful people here at Ubuntu Forums!
    Last edited by seagullplayer77; May 26th, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Mistake in code

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast