Thread: Problem with free space on my hard drive

Beans

Problem with free space on my hard drive

Hello guys. Well, a few days ago I noticed that the free space on my hard drive is presented differently on the Disk Usage Analyzer and when I'm exploring the drive from Nautilus; Disk Usage Analizer says I have 3.1 GB free, but Nautilus says it's only 2.6 GB.

In any case, I don't know which is correct, but I would like to see why I have this inconsistency. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Problem with free space on my hard drive

One is probably reading the raw space available the other is calculating the clusters available

http://www.answers.com/topic/slack-space?cat=technology

Beans

Ok, that seems to be possible. A couple of question though: which one should I take for real free space available? And is there anyway to optimize this wasted space so that it can be used as normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Reshuken View Post
    Ok, that seems to be possible. A couple of question though: which one should I take for real free space available? And is there anyway to optimize this wasted space so that it can be used as normal?
    If you format a drive you can force a particular (smaller) cluster size, the drawback is disk performance will be impacted because the accounting overhead needed to keep track of the clusters goes up. It's a trade off. You are probably better off rolling with what you have, you won't get that much space back and the price you'll pay won't be worth it.

http://www.wlug.org.nz/DiskCluster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

df -H from a command line