Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] No num keyboard in 8.04

Beans

[SOLVED] No num keyboard in 8.04

Just discovered this morning that my numbers key pad is not functioning in Ubuntu. Why? How do I restore it? It works fine when I boot into XP, so the problem is not mechanical in nature.

Assistance appreciated.

Caruso

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No num keyboard in 8.04

Do you have numlockx enabled? If not go into synaptic and search for numlockx and mark it to load. Click apply. Close synaptic. Reboot.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by carusoswi View Post
    Just discovered this morning that my numbers key pad is not functioning in Ubuntu. Why? How do I restore it? It works fine when I boot into XP, so the problem is not mechanical in nature.

Assistance appreciated.

Caruso
    Do you mean just num lock or all the numeric keys.

If the later use System>Prefs>Keyboard and make sure you have the correct type selected. Hardy remembers your numlock state.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post

If the later use System>Prefs>Keyboard and make sure you have the correct type selected. Hardy remembers your numlock state.
    The numlock indicator light indicates that numlock is enabled, but the keypad behaves as though it is disabled. Arrow keys (4-6, 2-8) will move the cursor around, but I cannot enter numeric values with the keypad. Pressing the numlock key to turn off the enabled indicator seems to disable the keypad completely.

Caruso

Beans

I have tried your suggestion. No apparent effect. I never touched keyboard preferences to make things work in previous versions. Don't quite know what to make of this. My keyboard (supplied with the system) is a Benq X120 Model A122 Extension U21 if that means anything. I've used it with this system for 4-years.

Caruso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alienexplorers View Post
    Do you have numlockx enabled? If not go into synaptic and search for numlockx and mark it to load. Click apply. Close synaptic. Reboot.
    I did not have numlockx marked for install. Went into synaptic and clicked it, installed it, no effect.

Caruso

Beans
    Distro

Have you access to another keyboard?

My girlfriend picked one up recently for £2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You have mousekeys enabled. This problem drives me crazy because it seems a lot of people have it for no good reason.

Solution:

System>Preferences>Keyboard>Mouse Keys (tab)>Uncheck that crap.

Dumbest problem I've encountered since upgrading to 8.04, I swear (besides Pulse Audio). Sorry you had to endure it too.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Mouse keys is off by default.
    Obviously it has a way of turning on and not notifying the user with a visual notification. It's happened to me more than once. So again, it's one of the dumbest problems I and many others have encountered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast