Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

I was just wondering if it's an issue on windows xp / vista. A guy at work just lost a hard drive on a dell laptop running xp. There's a million reasons for this I'm sure, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are already in your head.

Beans

I dont seem to have load_cycle_count i only have power_cycle_count, is this the same thing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_demon View Post
    Unofficial Ugly Load_Cycle_Count Fix for Hardy

Don't apply any unofficial ugly fixes unless you understand what you are doing and you understand how to revert. Only apply this fix if you are heavily affected. After applying this fix keep an eye on your Load_Cycle_Count and on your harddrive temperature and make sure it remains below the maximum temperature specification of your harddrive. Also don't forget that having your harddisk head park protects your harddrive if you experience any bumps (which is especially nice if you are on the road and therefor probably working on battery).Everything you do is on your own risk.

Please give me feedback so I can improve this post.

First read the first two posts of this thread which explain the problem and the fix for Gutsy :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...46&postcount=1
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...46&postcount=2

Hardy switched to pm-utils so the fix is a little bit different for Hardy. But the same principles apply so be sure to read the fix for Gutsy so you understand what you are doing. But putting 99-hdd-ugly-fix.sh in /etc/acpi/* won't work for Hardy.

Here's the fix for Hardy :
    http://en.opensuse.org/Disk_Power_Management

The temperature of the disk seems a little bit higher for me in Hardy. Watch it very carefully!

I'm experimenting with these values but you might need different values :
    Code:
    DEVICES_DISK_PM_POWERSAVE_OFF="hdparm -q -B 254 -q -S 0"
    DEVICES_DISK_PM_POWERSAVE_ON="hdparm -q -B 128 -q -S 0"
    Also read about why I choose these values :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=15

hddtemp bug :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=27

This probably doesn't work for suspend/resume. We'll have to figure out what's the cleanest solution for this in Hardy. Since acpi-support is replaced by pm-utils and I'm not sure whether /etc/acpi/* solutions will work in Hardy and will remain working in the future (Intrepid,Interpid+1,...). My laptop doesn't reliably suspend/resume so I can't test any suggested solutions myself.

Cleanest way I can currently think of is that this should be fixed is by making pm-utils call the scripts in /etc/pm/power.d after resuming/thawing. If that's done Suse's workaround will work even after suspend/resume without any adaption.

I just reported this bug against pm-utils :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/235105

Please give me feedback so I can improve this post.

Don't apply any unofficial ugly fixes unless you understand what you are doing and you understand how to revert. Only apply this fix if you are heavily affected. After applying this fix keep an eye on your Load_Cycle_Count and on your harddrive temperature and make sure it remains below the maximum temperature specification of your harddrive. Also don't forget that having your harddisk head park protects your harddrive if you experience any bumps (which is especially nice if you are on the road and therefor probably working on battery).Everything you do is on your own risk.
    Hmmm I have hardy but i am using the gutsy fix.. And it seems to work...
    Why do u say it doesnt work then?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSonic View Post
    I was just wondering if it's an issue on windows xp / vista. A guy at work just lost a hard drive on a dell laptop running xp. There's a million reasons for this I'm sure, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.

I think it is. I do know for a fact that my Toshiba was crashed by Vista for the same reason - whenever I told someone I thought my computer was clicking too much, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Beans

can anyone tell me if load_count_cycle is the same as power_count_cycle since i do not have load_count_cycle as one of my attributes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSonic View Post
    Yes, I have the same glitch in Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fix for Hardy (OpenSuse maintained) http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...47&postcount=3 works wery well for me in any situation on laptop with 2.6.24-17-rt kernel. Independently from power events, whether the battery has been switched off or on during suspend or hypernate (EDIT: afte suspend und hypernate hdparm was set to 128 again).

Of course, after some test with different -B values I have applied suitable with my disk and environment as here:
    Code:
    # Powersave mode off
    #  Disable APM and set spin-down for 2 hours
    #
    DEVICES_DISK_PM_POWERSAVE_OFF="hdparm -q -B 254 -q -S 244"
    #
    # Powersave mode on
    # Enable APM to conservative 128 and set spin-down for 21 minutes
    #
    DEVICES_DISK_PM_POWERSAVE_ON="hdparm -q -B 128 -q -S 252"
    Thank you for this link, ubuntu_demon
    Last edited by bajun; July 19th, 2008 at 12:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by efplaya View Post
    can anyone tell me if load_count_cycle is the same as power_count_cycle since i do not have load_count_cycle as one of my attributes

Power_Cycle_Count is NOT the same as Load_Cycle_Count. Power_Cycle_Count merely counts how many times you turn the disk on and off (system shutdown, restart, standby, resume, boot, etc).

Load_Cycle_Count counts the number of times the drive parks the heads.

I don't know if there is anything you can do to find this value. If it isn't showing up in smartmontools then your drive may not support that Smart value.

You should be able to hear the heads parking rapidly if you are experiencing this issue. It's usually a decent clicking on and off pretty close together. If you think you hear more than several clicks a minute, then try running:

Code:
    sudo hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
    and see if the clicks stop. If they don't try a value of 255 instead. If they stop, then the "ugly fix" will work for you.
    Registered Ubuntu User #20847

Beans

I have found a solution that works for me.

I first used this guide to get laptop mode going. This will deal with the parking issue as such.

However, after resuming from suspending hdparm was set to 128 again, unless I unplugged the computer from AC power and then reconnected it.

With Jakon's guide this is remedied. The problem here is that if you resume while running on battery power hdparm will be set to 254 and you have to plug & unplug from AC to get power saving mode going again.

This works fine for me, however, since I mostly run my laptop on AC power, only occasionally disconnecting it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kestol View Post
    Hmmm I have hardy but i am using the gutsy fix.. And it seems to work...
    Why do u say it doesnt work then?
    I updated my post which will answer your question :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...47&postcount=3
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; May 29th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast