Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Usb devices not mounted or recognised

Beans

Re: Usb devices not mounted or recognised

I know this is know real help but I did a fresh install and all my USB devices are recognized and automounting.

Something must be getting trashed by doing a dist. upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@ Mac - device is not recognized in Live CD so no good.

@ newsboy - Really?... working from fresh install 8.04 fully upgraded and no go... but no thanks.

@linuxbox:~$ fdisk
    would copy output here but no need. only shows my internal drive with xp partition, shared partition between xp/linux, linux partition, and swap partition. there is no other device recognized... period... hence, the problem... no command gives sd? sb? sc? or whatever to manually mount because it is NOT recognized...
    Last edited by Presbuteros; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Presbuteros View Post
    @ newsboy - Really?... working from fresh install 8.04 fully upgraded and no go... but no thanks.
    Do you have a fresh install or an upgrade? I had problems with my USB devices after upgrading to 8.04 But upon installing a fresh copy all my USB devices started working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was having the same problem USB device could be seen but not anything with a files system (see my previous posts).
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA770DCS running a 4 core phemom processor and a SB600 Southbridge (controls the USB on the system)
    I have sequentially flashed the bios 3, 4, 5, 6 using the bios updates from Gigabyte. My Kensington 1 gig USB stick was recognized by the latest kernel at update #4.
    I suggest to all to make sure the bios on there machines is up to date.
    It worked for me.

Beans

I have a 3 day old install of hardy. My flash thumbdrive was working fine at first. Problem arose when I right clicked and dismounted it from the desktop. Now it won't pop up anymore when I plug it in. However it shows up as /dev/sdc with "fdisk -l".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm with the same problem here. My laptop is not automountig neither my external USB hard drive nor my pendrive. Both of them appear with "fdisk -l" and I can mount them manually (just read mode, I don't know the correct arguments for writing mode). This is a fresh install of Hardy and it was working properly until sunday...

Beans

Same problem - fdisk lists the valid partitions but they're not automatically mounted as expected(I can mount them manually - but that's a real pain for a nooob) CD's have also stopped automounting.

Anyone know what systems are responsible for automounting?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Don't know if its of any help to anyone, all my troubles seemed to happen after a bios update from lenovo (via *******- which i've now totally removed), i've just re-flashed my bios to a 2006 release from ibm/lenovo and everything now works perfectly.
    It's much better to regret what you did, rather than what you didn't do

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345